April 1, 2020: Have You Considered Painting Something Darker -




Remember the good old days, when I decompensated over the Brett Kavanaugh hearings, and ended up painting sixteen girl-dog portraits for my Resting Bitch Face series? (Skeptical bitches, woeful ones, snarky ones, possibly drunken ones. Here is the first of the sixteen, looking mournfully out a window.)

Those were good times!

I miss being absolutely gutted that old Brett made it onto the Supreme Court.

(I’m lying. Still fries all my sockets.)

But the bitches! I loved the bitches! I loved painting the bitches and having all sixteen of them around me, my pack, on the walls of my studio, before I put them up on the walls of the coffee shop because sixteen is a lot of paintings.

Most found good homes, and the rest stayed with me.

Today I found myself painting three Masks Wearing Masks. It was therapeutic. I don’t think I am going to want to surround myself with them.

Oh, the title of this entry:  Before the RBF series, I was pretty much a still life girl. One day a nice young woman with a studio across the hall came over to see my stuff. She was lukewarm, and said, "Have you considered painting something darker?"  I said, You mean, like palette colors? She said No, I mean, like content?

Comments