April 29, 2020: The Gift in the Garbage -
The phrase “silver lining” has gone sour for me. I resisted it from the beginning, but now I’m
protesting. When people say “silver lining,” I react as if they had used a
racial slur. I say: I can’t tolerate “silver lining” but I will accept “the
gift in the garbage” as an alternative.
This is just quibbling, I know.
There is no real difference between the two phrases, or what they
are referring to. But I think “silver lining” has long been detached from its
cloud, while “gift in the garbage” requires you to at least SAY the word “garbage,”
and that seems to keep it a small distance further away from fatuous and/or
heartless happy talk.
Having said that, I am not even talking about the gifts in the
garbage very much. Yes, yes, birdsong and very little traffic and lower levels
of pollution and home cookin’ on the rise. Sure. All well and good. I just don’t
know how to talk about that stuff in quite the right way, without sounding
like, “Oh, you haven’t been able to comfort your confused elderly relatives for
months? Oh, you are wondering how much longer your business will be able to exist?
Well, that’s a shame, but I made a great rhubarb pie last week!”
I was raised to be (or try to be) a good sport, not to do a lot of
whining, but I cannot abide happy talk when things are awful. And once in a
while, I run across a kindred soul. There’s a verse in Proverbs that I love:
Like one who takes away a garment in cold weather,
And like vinegar on soda, (some of the translations use: “like vinegar on a wound”)
Is one who sings songs to a heavy heart.
And like vinegar on soda, (some of the translations use: “like vinegar on a wound”)
Is one who sings songs to a heavy heart.
https://youtu.be/t36jwyVncmQ
ReplyDeleteThanks for this. I freed it and made it into a link in a subsequent post, and gave you credit.
ReplyDelete