April 23, 2020: Easily Moved, Designated Crier -
One of my new pandemic pals hosts a weekly short-story
discussion group. I used to avoid book groups at all cost, and now I’ve got a
monthly book group and a weekly short-story group. Go figure.
Anyway, she (I’m going to call her Abby, because she’s a new
friend, and might want a pseudonym, who knows) was talking about how she had
been listening to the week’s short story on her headphones, while taking a solo
walk through her neighborhood, and she had been crying, and she imagined the
neighbors were wondering what was up. She said, “I’m not a sad person. I’m just
easily moved.”
I told her I loved that explanation. I generally refer to
the same condition by saying, “I’m the designated crier.”
I used to think this was a failing. I remember some years ago, my sweet former
colleague Ted died, and I went to his funeral and got on an unstoppable crying
jag. Ted was a dear man, and we had worked together for decades, and then his
ancient mom died and he came into a small inheritance, and he quit as fast as
he could. He had wanted to spend some years doing good deeds – his big dream
was to deliver food for Meals on Wheels – but then he had gotten very sick. He
wrote to me, before he died, “I had wanted to care for others, but I have had
to learn how to let others care for me instead.”
Before I knew him, Ted was a Catholic priest. Then he fell
in love and got married and had kids, and came to work for the book company.
But he was always active in his church, taught some Adult Ed classes, always took Easter Monday off because he needed it after the exertions of Holy Week. And at the funeral,
a bunch of his old priest buddies performed the ceremony together. In my
memory, I see nine of them up there in their robes, one head guy and a virtual
chorus line of backup priests, all doing the manual rite at the same time. For
an old choreographer like me, it was surreal, and vaguely funny, and altogether
too much.
I was sitting with a few coworkers, including,
providentially, Lynne. Lynne was the sort of person who always had extra little
packets of Kleenex in her purse, and she kept handing them to me, and I kept
crying, and snot kept dripping off my chin (and let’s all just admit that those
little packets of Kleenex are WORTHLESS if you are having a decent, snotty
cry), and the more I cried, the more I cried, and eventually my nose was all
plugged, so I was drawing these big, audible, ragged mouth breaths and it was
just quite a thing. I was pretty embarrassed, and I couldn’t stop.
I mopped up and stuck around afterward long enough to go to the reception
and say howdy to Ted’s son, and then I dragged myself home, where the phone
rang, and it was my sister-in-law, Missy. She said How are you, and I said, I
just went to a funeral and I cried harder than any member of the actual FAMILY
of the guy who died, I’m so embarrassed!
And she said, “Ohhh. I am sure that meant a lot to them.”
And she said, “Ohhh. I am sure that meant a lot to them.”
It was really a nice thing to say, but Missy is like that.
And it allowed me to start thinking of myself as performing a useful function:
designated crier. If you are afraid nobody will pitch a total fit at your
funeral, just leave instructions that I be invited. I will take care of it.
(This post is dedicated to Elizabeth Warren, a woman I’ve
never even met, whose oldest brother, Don, a man I never met, died Tuesday from
COVID-19.)

Comments
Post a Comment