May 21, 2020: Imperative #4, Keep the Local Economy Afloat: Update on Wins, Losses, Bobby Pins -
Wins –
We got takeout four times last week. Okay, we went nuts. But
one place was in some sort of May-Madness bracket competition thing for “Best
Quarantine Takeout,” and we hadn’t even known they were doing takeout, and we
love them, so we had to jump on that. And then another place had JUST reopened,
takeout only, and their website said, “We will be SO GLAD to see you,” so we
had to do our bit there. And the other two are old favorites, and … well,
anyway. Four times. The local economy is much the stronger for our efforts.
Losses –
The yoga studio closed for good, as did the waffle place at
the end of the exact same block. The waffle folks wanted to move back to
Eugene, which is a great town, so happy trails. The yoga studio is a bit
of a blow for me. I’ll miss going there, the way the light came in the windows.
They posted a photo of a box of “gently used” mats they were giving away, so I
went and got one and said goodbye. They are still streaming classes online,
from teachers’ bedrooms and living rooms and whatnot.
Draws –
A local theater writes that they have laid off almost two thirds of their staff, but that they got a grant to commission new plays. I don’t know if that’s actually a draw, but it’s some kind of win-some, lose-some.
And finally, I couldn’t get a photo, but way out in East county I drove by a home hairdressing place with a reader board on the front lawn. Despite what it must mean to their income, the readerboard said, in big caps: STAY HOME, STAY SAFE, BUY BOBBY PINS.
I went looking for bobby pins in various drawers. There were none to be found. This seems impossible, for some reason. It’s like being unable to locate a paper clip. I did find a really pretty hair comb (Gift of the Magi pretty), but it wasn’t mine. I texted my daughter to ask if it was a precious thing I was not allowed to borrow, and she texted back Yes. So that’s out. I have fashioned several fetching hairbands out of shoelaces and ribbon lately. It's a creative time.

Used yoga mat - SCORE!!
ReplyDelete