May 23, 2020: Campfire on Main Street -
It was gloomy this morning, and I was battling general unease,
what with businesses closing and people out of work, and bizarre political
doings, plus all the uncertainties about re-opening and what lies in store. I
decided to turn off the news, and go down to the river and get some air and a
larger view.
All in all, it was a good plan, and I came home several
hours later feeling less sunk. But going down to the river was probably not the
best choice of destination if I wanted to bypass our current woes.
The ramp to the Hawthorne Bridge angles up from 6th Avenue,
so that by the time the bridge is about to cross the river, it’s fairly high. I
took that route, knowing I could get down to the riverbank by a steep set of
stairs. The result was that I had an excellent view down at two of Portland’s
new tent cities, erected in late April.
I’ve mentioned that I’m in some ways acclimating to Virus World,
which means I flip-flop between two views of the same thing. Oh my gosh, look
at these tent cities -so big, so many people who are out amongst the elements,
it’s a crying shame.
But then: Given that so many are on the streets…those are
really good tents, big, sturdy 2-person or 4-person models, and they are on pallets, up off
the ground and out of the puddles! And every one has a tarp! And there are
plenty of Porta-Potties and volunteers doing something at the entrance, and I
suppose in some ways, for some people, things may be marginally better than
they were.
I was very aware of my own easy life, and aware that I was
(from up on the bridge) Looking Down Upon Others who were in a tough situation.
I often have dreams that are full of stupidly overblown symbolism like this, as
if my subconscious were a talent-free teenager in an intro creative writing
class.
The other interesting thing I could see from the bridge was that
while the tent cities weren’t full (I counted ten big square pallets in the
nearest one that were empty), a great many people were living in tents outside
of the tent city enclosures, here and there – right outside the fence, or a
block or two or three away, scattered all about, tent city and tent suburbs. These too, with one exception, were very nice
tents. (The exception was a stylish young woman quite a few blocks from the
cities, draping plastic tablecloths over a little, low, one-man, right on the
sidewalk. I fervently hope she will come into one of those good tents, or better
shelter, soon.) I’m guessing there may be good reasons some people don’t want
to be In the cities, despite the pallets and Porta-Potties. Maybe some of the
other denizens are intrusive. Maybe there are restrictions. I don’t know.
So I looked down from
above on my way to the river, but I decided to stay at street level and walk
past both the cities and the suburbs on my way home. I’d gotten to a quite
empty part of Main Street when I saw a fellow with a muti-part encampment, tent
plus an awning, and a little lawn chair. He was whittling, and there was a
wonderful smell in the air, which I realized was coming from a campfire he’d
built. I thought Oh, “Campfire on Main Street,” there you go, more heavy-handed
symbolism.
As I got closer and said Hi, I saw that he’d rigged some
stones around the campfire into a ledge, and he’d balanced an aluminum tray
there with spaghetti in it and alongside, a loaf of French bread. He had three
old bowls, Franciscan ware, that looked like he’d gotten them from Goodwill, and
three forks, and a handwritten sign on cardboard that said, “Hungry? Have some spaghetti and bread.”
I said, Oh, you are sweet.
But he couldn’t hear me, because of my mask, and he cupped
his ear and said, “Ma’am?”
I said, gesturing at the buffet he’d laid out, and the sign,
and then at him, and then patting over my heart, “You are so sweet.”
He said, “You too, ma’am.”

It eated a comment again!!!
ReplyDeleteThe Very Hungry Blog....
DeleteSorry. Do you notice whether it happens from one device? I find that anything I write from the phone gets eaten....
I can't post from my iPod at all. I'm logged in for every other google property and am recognized as me at this (my) gmail account on my iPod. But not blogger. "Twas ever thus with blogger, though. Back in my blogging daze people endlessly complained about eated comments. All my original comment said was that it was heartening to see such care and sympathy especially from those who have so little because this is a time of utter lack of sympathy from those who have everything and now rule us. Everything is not enough for them. They want that spaghetti, too. In fact, that spaghetti was stolen from them. Give it back.
DeleteSez it was published and I see it... we'll see
ReplyDeleteYep, your comments are here, both on the 23rd and the 24th.
Delete