May 17, 2020: Because I Could -

The meme of the Medieval bishop* all decked out in "random shit" he ordered online while sheltering in place struck a chord with me, not because I've ordered a whole lot, but because I made one extremely random purchase.  I bought a pair of heels.

*See below for the guy in the bishop hat, etc., and more on where he came from.
 

I haven't worn heels in years. Heels usually hurt my former-dancer feet, and I've sworn off shoes that hurt. In fact, it's safe to say I've overshot in the comfortable direction. The first time a sweet young couple asked me to officiate their wedding, I asked fashionable friend Dana to help me buy an officiant outfit. It took us all afternoon (well, we had to go out for lunch and wine, so there went a few hours). But we found a great outfit, and then she said we needed to find shoes, and I said no need, and she turned to me sternly and said, "You may not wear your Danskos." I don't know how she knew that had been the plan. I bought some fancy sandals with all sorts of strappy Grecian-ish ankle action. Flats. They hurt.

Anyway, I now own a pair of heels, a towering 2.5 inches. Aren't they pretty? I put them on this morning, along with a nice dress, and went to church (streaming online in the guest room). They didn't hurt at all. Also, a whopping $39.95, so I feel no guilt if they are rarely worn.  


Here's the meme in question. I just want to point out that I was not the only one to order white gloves.

In an attempt to give credit where credit is due, I just spent a good twenty minutes trying to identify where this painting originated, and I am delighted to tell you that it is St. Lifard with a Dragon, from the Book of Hours (in fact the Grands Heures) painted by Jean Bourdichon for Anne of Brittany, Queen of France, somewhere around 1503-1508.  

Would I have done this research before the pandemic? Mmmmmaybe.... Depends on the day.

 And here's a bonus: another illustration from that exploration. Though it says Dionisii below the portrait, that's probably incorrect -- evidently, folks were in the habit of confusing St. Denis (who was decapitated) with Dionisius the Aereopagite.

Would I have pursued this further rabbit hole before the pandemic? I think not. Nor will I today. But I'll leave it here for you, as a gift.

Comments

  1. And thanks for the second gift of extra white space underneath the headless bishop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lookit that. I even know how that happened. Hopefully, fixed now.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. which is to say, Thank you for pointing that out.

      Delete

Post a Comment