January 1, 2021 - Experiments in Living
The UK got Brexit and the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine this week, and Portland got Cocktails to Go!
Opponents of Brexit said that Britain could not diverge from
EU rules and also trade freely with the EU – that Britain could not have its
cake and eat it too - but Boris Johnson begged to differ: “That has turned out not to be true,” the
prime minister said. “I want you to see that this is a cakist treaty.”
A cakist treaty and a cocktail with which you can stroll the streets! It all sounds reminiscent of New Orleans, somehow, where my naïve Oregonian eyes were shocked, years ago, to see x-rated neckties and streetside daiquiri machines that looked like a row of colorful dryers in a laundromat.
No, wait. I think that whole strolling-the-streets thing may
be a misapprehension on my part. Looks like we get to order a cocktail of 3
oz., to go WITH a food order, delivered to our door by one of those DoorDash
type outfits. (I tried to sign up for GrubHub in order to get bagels and lox from
one of my local fave spots, and I annoyed the GrubHub app so badly that I can’t
even sign in any more. I am dead to GrubHub. Fine. I will find another way.)
In the UK, I noticed, it is generally called “The Oxford
vaccine.” Understandably so. And I understand
why they are going to try delaying the second dose of vaccine in order to get a
first dose into more people. The case rate is exploding, and first doses show
an impact pretty swiftly. We don’t actually know the sweet spot for vaccine
booster shots: three weeks? Eight? Twelve?
My father was a research scientist, and listening to him, I
got used to the idea of science advancing understanding both when experiments
work, and when they don’t. He was a big believer in the controlled study, and also
in trying something to see what happened. It’s amazing to see these principles playing
out in real time, in the real world, during a real crisis - but it’s been like
this since the beginning of the pandemic.
Oregon’s cocktails-to-go dispensation will sunset 60 days
after the governor’s emergency order expires. It’s meant to keep restaurants
and bars afloat, and, I suppose incidentally, to cheer the rest of us up.
In our house, we started 2021 with a whisky tasting session
over WhatsApp. I can’t recommend this for anyone who likes to Accomplish Things
on the first day of the year, but I’m not complaining. Happy New Year, all.

Comments
Post a Comment