June 17, 2020: Potpourri -
My friend from Korea became an American citizen yesterday! I
am more delighted, even, than I would usually be at a milestone like this,
because right now, the fact that a super-talented, super-smart, kind and funny human
would want to become an American feels like balm.
(My oldest friend, by contrast, recently mused about moving
to another country. I said that wasn’t on my wish list, because I hate and fear
being The New Kid, anywhere, ever. You may think I’m exaggerating, with “hate,”
but I’m not. Pick your favorite social anxiety. Speaking in front of a group?
Having to make small talk? Teaching seventh grade? Being onstage in a play? Having to sing a solo, a capella? Going to a wholly
unsympathetic church that weirds you out? That’s me and Being the New Kid. Once
I’m known, I can teach seventh grade all day.)
The Aunt Jemima company has decided to scrap its mascot
because she is a racial stereotype. I read this news when I had been awake for
less than five minutes, and my first thought was: well, they could honor a REAL black woman
instead of a stereotypical one. How about Angela Davis Pancake Syrup? That
would be a great label! I can see it! I have no idea if Angela Davis liked
pancakes, and I am pleading barely-awake on this one.
(I went looking for information on Mrs. Butterworth, but lost heart when she was described as "matronly.")
Popular Mechanics magazine published an article on How toTopple a Statue Using Science. Popular
Mechanics! That’s getting with the program! So many useful tips, here, and I
won’t summarize them all, but my favorite is the minor aside about being sure
the rope is long enough that when the statue falls, it doesn’t crush the
nearest person. Good Point!

Comments
Post a Comment