December 6, 2020: Substitutes -
There are five days to go in my pretty-much self-imposed (as in, “recommended, but not mandated”) quarantine at home, after our epic journey. This time around, I’ve learned how to use the grocery-delivery service, so I’m feeling savvy and responsible.
New Seasons is four blocks from our house. Before the trip,
it was my habit to shop there during old-folks hours, between 7 and 9 am.
Actually, it wasn’t just a habit, it was a bit of a thrill. Grocery stores are so full of color and
possibility, and while there weren’t enough people to make it feel dangerous,
there were guaranteed, live, 3-D people, not dear friends or family, but the
all-important acquaintances or even strangers, masked up, who would say hello
at check-out.
Saying hello to me was their job! Saying “How are you
holding up?” was mine! We had it DOWN.
Anyway, delivery turns out to be fun in a different way, not
so much socially as in the surprise factor. Long story, but we have more cabbage than we can handle. The cabbage is victorious, and we are
vanquished. This despite the fact that we have had cabbage for breakfast for
the past five days. It’s good. It’s weird, I know, but it’s good. And it MUST
surely be increasing our dietary fiber, as doctors recommend.
I saw a clip from Black-ish, where Dre loses it when he is
delivered the wrong brand of cookies. He has been trying so hard to keep the
family functioning, to keep his kids on task with their online schoolwork, and
now he can’t even get the cookies he wants.
I hear you, Dre. Would you like some cabbage instead?
Because I have some to share.
I want to say something good about grocery delivery, though.
I mean, besides the obvious, “We aren’t starving, we can afford groceries, we
aren’t getting evicted from our home where the groceries are delivered,” and
all those big, I-know-I’m-lucky things.
In addition to all of that, I’ve gotten a few things I never would have bought, and they’ve been really good. I never tired that brand before, but I like it. I never bought those avocados, only the other sort, but those are excellent!
Plus, the people doing the shopping are choosing the most
perfect specimens. I don’t think I’ve ever seen more completely unblemished
bananas (or more handsome cabbage, for that matter). I’m trying to delight in
the surprises more than I whine about off-brand cookies.
In other news of substitutions, our choir gathered on Zoom
to sing Compline service for the first time, this week. We were all muted
except our two leaders, who took the cantor and congregation parts. We got to
sing with one of them (or both, because who could stop us?), and it was so satisfying,
I can’t tell you. I haven’t sung with anyone since March. Singing with one
other person, even one person who can’t hear me, was bliss. We’ll sing Compline
alone, together, one night a week, for the foreseeable. It’s substitute choir
practice. I’ll take it!
After the service, we went around the Zoom boxes checking
in. Five of our young choristers reported in. The two oldest said online high
school sucked, and it was hard to get motivated. The two youngest, twins who
never hold still, agreed - relishing the word - that online school SUCKED! And
then one of them, wriggling and arching his back, and sliding, and finally sinking
right out of the bottom of the frame, as if the quicksand had ahold of him, added, “But it’s EEASYyyyyyyyy!” I had
to imagine what those two are like when they are not just wiggly, but wiggly
and bored. And the middle-school chorister
said, smiling, “I like school. I like it online. And I like being home, and now
I get to be home. So I’m good.”
The substitution theme made me think about an article I
really enjoyed recently, with the not-quite-apt title “Pandemic-Proof YourHabits,” and the sub-head: “Too many
people are still longing for their old routines. Get some new ones instead.”
The article is so much better, and so much more fascinating,
than the above would suggest. The author, Kate Murphy, describes how we are
biologically wired to do things in the ways we know, and about how frustrated
we get when we can’t. Here’s a snippet that stuck with me:
‘Psychologists, anthropologists, neuroscientists and
neurobiologists have written countless books and research papers on the topic
but it all boils down to this: Human beings are prediction machines.
“Our brains are statistical organs that are built simply to
predict what will happen next,” said Karl Friston, a professor of neuroscience
at University College London. In other words, we have evolved to minimize
surprise.’
We are prediction machines, evolved to minimize surprise!
This rings true to me. So I’m staying open to adding new routines, when the opportunity arises,
but I’m also trying to roll with the surprises, much as a cabbage would roll,
if you were to gently push it downhill.

"We are prediction machines, evolved to minimize surprise!"
ReplyDeleteIt's been decades since I read Beyond the Pleasure Principle, but in it, Freud associates pleasure with a lack of mental excitations and unpleasure with an excess of those excitations and argues we are wired to try to minimize those excitations by experiencing pleasure when that happens; and the best example of a state of minimized mental excitations is the state of inanimateness - of being not-alive. In other words, we are tying to kill ourselves without realizing it. (It's a bit more complicated, but that's the gist, as I recall.)
This blew my mind at the time.
I would not say I agree with it, but it is interesting.
My point is, new stuff gets us all worked up with worries and doubts and omg this is not routine so I have to THINK about it!
It can be hard. Doing unfamiliar things, I mean.
Strike a blow against Freudianism and try something new! Intentionally increase your state of mental excitation! You'll LIVE longer.
I heartily concur, Dr. Heisenberg, and I disagree with Dr. Freud, not for the first time! I believe, in fact, you have made a case for my stated Goal of Retirement: TO DABBLE. Thank you for the exhortation or peroration or both, have to figure out the difference now...
Delete