Death to 5781!
For some reason, I’ve been thinking that our animus to 2020 and longing for 2021 is setting us up for a fall. I don’t know why this is, but a strange little voice inside keeps saying, "We didn't fix our societal horrors, and the virus doesn’t know what year it is.” If we were using the Jewish calendar year, for instance, we’d be in 5781 right now, and we’d make the switch to 5782 in September. It's not a new year except by our own conventions.
You see my point.
It’s okay if you don’t see my point, honest. I’m not sure
what it is.
I’m just nervous; people are so full of “good riddance!” and
“at last, that’s all behind us!” Knock
wood, somebody, please!
But the sense that better times are coming is for good reason!
We’ve got a vaccine, going into 2021, or rather three
vaccines so far, however slow the roll-out has been, however much to blame our
incompetent and uncaring Administration is. The vaccines are here! Things are
looking up!
In fact, late last night, my friend who works at the largest
long-term care facility in Oregon posted
that they had vaccinated 300 people yesterday, both staff AND elderly
residents. This means I am now only One Away from knowing some actual,
vulnerable older person who got vaccinated!!( I’ll settle for anybody 70 or
over who didn’t get a shot because he or she works in a medical or group
setting.) I’m truly excited about this.
And yes, I know that in 2021 we are getting a new
Administration, hallelujah, assuming Mr. Trump doesn’t motivate a group of
well-armed crazies to do something unspeakably awful. But failing that
catastrophe, I am looking forward to a
Biden/Harris Civility and Science Rennaisance, and with any luck, to much more
than that.
Having said all of that about the arbitrariness of our
calendar, I’ll confess that our holiday
card talked about wishing a hearty farewell to 2020. It’s not like I don’t think in exactly those
terms. I do. I’m just jumpy, is all.
So, knowing that the calendar is arbitrary, I nonetheless want
to plug a Netflix mockumentary confection called “Death to 2020.” If you don’t
have Netflix, sorry. If you do watch,
hang on through the first ten minutes. It picks up once Lisa Kudrow appears as
an unholy Kellyanne/Kayleigh combo.
All I can say is, it worked for me. I watched it twice. Here’s one good line, uttered by average citizen Gemma Nerrick (Diana Morgan), who is clueless, but so pleased to have her opinion valued that she goes as deep as she can. During lockdown, she says, “it was so quiet… you could actually hear yourself think. (Beat.) I expect.”

The hopes people pin on the arbitrarily-designated "New Year" are good if what they're expressing is a resolve to do something to make things better this year. Or at least prevent them from becoming awful.
ReplyDeleteIt's bad if what they think is, "Hey New Year! Everything bad from 2020 is magically over now!" These are probably the same people who think the goal was merely to get Dotard out of office. That was just the start...