December 26, 2020: Wins I Will Take

Pandemic bright notes: The Oregon Health Authority reports zero COVID deaths today - probably just because the holiday season is delaying the reporting, but we’ll take it for now. 

By the end of tomorrow, I will know eight people who have been vaccinated. Yes, they are all doctors and nurses, and no, I don’t know any vulnerable olds who have gotten a shot. But I’ll take eight people. Eight people is a lot better than zero people. 

The nation’s homeless folks are suffering less from the pandemic than was predicted. That’s because of the salutary effects of being isolated and outdoors – so this is extremely bittersweet good news, but it could be worse.

Racial justice bright notes: Thanks to the efforts of Oregon politicians Ron Wyden and Jeff Merkeley, a nasty piece of anti-Indian legislation, The 1865 Treaty Nullification Act, got nullified itself.  The nullification of the Nullification made it through the House and the Senate, and the President signed it. It wasn’t being enforced, but it stunk, and Louie Pitt, the director of governmental affairs for the Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs, said nullifying it provided protection against possible future injustices, because “political winds will shift.” No kidding. Again, it’s a small thing, but I’ll take it. 

Environmental bright notes:  A favorite glorious old place, the Steamboat Inn on the Umpqua in Southern Oregon, survived the fires this summer, as did all guests and staff (some staff lost their homes, which is not to be minimized or ignored, but today is potpourri day, good things amid bad things). Lots of infrastructure damage to the lodge, but it wasn’t obliterated. They hope to have some sort of season in 2021, after repairs are completed.

Photo by Holladay Bros Fishing

And every major US bank has said they will not finance oil drilling projects in the Arctic, meaning that the outgoing Evil Regime can give out leases but at least most banks won’t aid and abet. (I will check with my local credit union to make sure they aren’t taking advantage of this opportunity, but I think it’s unlikely.) The banks must be doing this to forestall customer rebellion, but that’s okay. And maybe some non-US bank, or ambitious tiny credit union (joke) will finance drilling. But regardless - somebody took a stand for the planet, and that's fine by me. 

Comments

  1. We take what we can get but never stop pushing for more.

    Biggest unadulterated good news will happen at 12:00:01 am on 1/1/21 - if I can stay up that late! And no, I don't mean the New Year! (Well, I do, but only incidentally.)

    Biggest decision: What kind of beer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the beers!! But nit all at once.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment