December 20, 2020: Highly Problematic -
Last year, when I put away this string of Christmas lights, I taped a note to it, warning my future self that it was “HIGHLY problematic.” I don’t know why I did that, but there it is.
I also tucked notes next to two favorite winter sweaters, alerting Future Me that they were both “Kinda sad.” In particular, I labelled the long green hooded sweater that my daughter calls, “the bathrobe” (not in an admiring way). The bathrobe has put in many faithful years, and it’s thin in unfortunate places. But it is PERFECT for this kinda sad, or very sad, but definitely “highly problematic” holiday season.
Speaking of alternate selves, and on a cheerier note, I have loved Julie Nolke’s four YouTube videos, “Explaning the Pandemic to My Past Self.” If you haven’t seen them, they are probably best watched in order. They’re only about 4 minutes apiece. (The one where Future Julie tries to get Past Julie to stop using the phrase “proud boys” as a tribute to NBA players speaking out for racial justice is especially satisfying.)
If you’ve been keeping up, here’s the latest, which may be the last of the series.

Comments
Post a Comment