August 8, 2023: Midnight at the Oasis -
Rick and I spend much of the summer at the mouth of the Deschutes River. He fishes, and I mostly hang out around camp, a green and shady oasis in that hot, dry country.
Zoom in: oasis.
Zoom out: hot, dry country.
(Above the campground, where there was a fire earlier this summer. The dark green trees at center are the campground. Across the Columbia are the brown hills of Washington State.)It’s a state park, and it has spotless (with caveat following), well-ventilated bathrooms, plus individual shower rooms with locks and hooks and benches. There are two areas for tent campers, and one with electrical and water hook-ups, for people with trailers. We have a trailer! You can just see it on the left, under some trees.
I once mocked trailer campers – they weren’t OUTSIDE! They
had sinks and beds and bathrooms and air conditioning! They weren’t CAMPING.
Then we got our first trailer, and I converted immediately. It’s bliss. Life is
good. For us.
But I worried whether life was good for the gnats. The gnats are the bathroom caveat above. Early in the morning, there are a lot of tiny dead gnats on the bathroom sinks. They aren’t a problem; they don’t stink or bite or bleed. They can be wiped away with a paper towel. There are just a lot of them.
I wondered what dreadful human activity was killing those gnats in the bathroom, during the night. Poor gnats! Then one day I asked Rick*, and he said nothing was killing them. They just don’t live long.
We see a lot of dead ones in the campground bathroom because
this is the perfect place to be a gnat, and the bathrooms have lights, and
gnats LOVE lights, and they come in the door when it is opened at night, and
they have a big party all around and beneath their beloved lights, and then some
of them die - right on schedule! They were going to die! Gravity makes them land on the sinks, directly
below the lights. Nothing is wrong!
I got this explanation several years ago, and it really
pleased me. It still pleases me. I am so
used to thinking of death as a problem caused by something unfortunate; maybe if
we hadn’t screwed up the planet, those gnats would have been able to live long,
fruitful lives!
Not so! They would still have lived the exact same normal, short, gnat-lives! At the
campground, they just get a big light-party on their way out!
This has changed my feeling about the morning paper-towel
cleanup. Goodbye, gnats! Happy trails!
*Update: Since it had been a while, I wanted to double-check
that I was reporting Rick’s life-of-a-gnat explanation correctly, and I said, “Hey,
can we talk about gnats?”
“Diptera!” said he with excitement. “Two wings!”
“Okay,” I said, “noted.
Did you once tell me that the dead gnats in the bathroom are not a
problem, they would have died anyway, and that they just fall down onto the
sinks because the sinks are right below the lights?”
“I’m not sure those are gnats,” said he. “They might be very
tiny caddis flies. I’d need to look at them more closely.”
“Okay, but whatever they are, do I correctly remember you
telling me that there’s nothing bad going on?”
“Or maybe midges,” said he.
“So…, could we, just for the purposes of this discussion, call
them gnats?”
“I’d need to look at their wings,” he said. “They should be
see-through.”
Conversations with Rick can go like this.
Two days later, I burst out, “DIPTERA! Two wings! But it’s
not Dip and Tera! It’s DI! And it’s PTERA! Like Pterodactyl -- Wing Fingers!!”
Later, I announced, “Helicopter! I looked up Helicopter! It’s
HELICO! And PTER!! Helix Wing!”
Conversations with me can go like that.
Additional update: I went into the bathroom today, and a
couple of women were staring at the wall above the sinks.
There were two big green grasshopper-type somethings up there. One woman said,
“No, it’s not a praying mantis. It starts with Skuh….”
“Those things suck all the juices out of the gnats,” said
the other one, “and drop the husks on the sink.”
“No, no, I know, I know!” said I, bouncing up and down, eager to share the Good News that the gnats had died a happy, natural death.
I explained the gnat circle of life. They didn’t buy it. Not for one second. Never mind that the grasshopper things would have needed several human lifetimes to get through the gnats in question.
I took a photo back to Rick. “Katydids,” he said. “They
aren’t predators.” I looked it up: they eat leaves, the
occasional flower, and as a rare treat, a dead bug. They were more likely to
clean up dead gnats than cause them.
Anyway! Do come visit us on the river. We have wine. And conversation!





Two people sharing anecdotes and factoids is NOT the same as conversation! (JK)
ReplyDeleteI was bothered by gNats last night. The Phillies should have swept the gNats in a doubleheader but eh gNats came back to win the second game.
I hate the gNats.
The whole area where you camp - including the brown hills, - looks nice.
huh. I thought my subtle humor would come through, but I missed. not the first time! fwiw, yes, I agree that the "conversations" shown do not meet the definition. oh well. not everyone shares my sense of humor, right? happens to the best of us.
DeleteI was kidding. Maybe *that* didn't come thru?
DeleteNo, no, I definitely saw your JK! No worries.
Delete