August 1, 2023 - Nice Day

 Usually, my bad dreams go straight downhill. I’m late, I take a shortcut, I’m lost, someone comes along, it’s an axe murderer. I wake up sweaty. 

It’s third-rate horror. If you watched my bad dreams, you’d shout, “Not the SHORTCUT, you idiot!” Then you’d write a “don’t bother” review calling them trite. 

In last night’s bad dream, I was with my mom (now dead, but in the dream old and demented and frightened and nonverbal, which happened in real life near the end). We were in a huge Safeway attached to a strip mall. I lost her. My fault. 

I knew, in the dream, that I had to find her before Something Happened, and that is was already Too Late. Dream-hours of frantic searching, and then finally she emerges from a little salon in the strip mall, new haircut, new outfit, looking perky. “Oh, there you are!” She says, as if I’ve shown up just in time to ferry her to her next event. 

I wait for whoever found her, clothed her, and paid for the haircut to arrive. Nothing. I’m braced for a scolding, or at least a request for reimbursement. Nope. 

I wake up, thinking Hmm! You don’t see THAT every bad dream! Things turned out well!

(That’s a pelican. You don’t see pelicans every day.) 

 I think my psyche was enjoying the indictment. Indictments cheer me up. Also hearings and trials and impending trials. Any sign that things are not completely out of control and no one cares is very heartening. 

I do understand that many of you good people take less comfort from small wins that I do. You say Sure, But He’s Still GOP Frontrunner, The Planet Still Burns, Fentanyl is Everywhere, The Police Still Shoot Black People, Gun Control Legislation Is Stuck, Drag Queens Are Demonized, Sexism, Racism, Wage Gaps, Homelessness, Homophobia, Gerrymandering, Patriarchy, Legacy Admissions, The Decline of  the Humanities, Moms for Liberty, Hunger, All of It. 

You’re not wrong. 

I just celebrate the wins, however partial. Who knows what will happen, but if we miss the wins that do arrive, it’s all nightmare. Every now and then we get to wake up and say That was nice!

Or at least, I get to. Good day. 

(Weird formatting above bc I’m trying to do this on a phone, from the river. First try. Not bad.)

Comments

  1. It's a Big Deal that the prosecution of Dotard has gotten this far, and worth celebrating.

    But (as you know) it's not enough. He and his co-conspirators need to go to prison and remain there until they die. (I'm not even gonna say "Assuming he's found guilty" because the only way he's NOT is via jury nullification .)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment