September 22, 2020 - The Right Earrings Are Going to Tie This All Together
On a multi-day raft trip one summer, I was intrigued to see that the other adult woman in the group had brought with her a small tackle box with assorted pairs of earrings. Each morning, she’d sit down with her coffee and carefully choose the pair that went with her outfit or her mood. There was nothing wrong with this, and it was pretty entertaining, but it was also awfully …civilized? …fashion-conscious? …at least unusual, for a raft trip.
So finally I asked if there was a story, and she said, “Oh, my mom raised me with three rules of
ladylike comportment: Do not talk to
strange men; Do not go into a bar during the day, or alone; Do not pierce your
ears. And I turned 50 this year and I
did all three – ON MY FIFTIETH BIRTHDAY! But I’m behind, so I buy earrings all
the time, and wear a different pair every day.”
I loved this story. I totally understood her late-life
rebellion, even though, as a grown woman, I was still abiding by my own mother’s
“we don’t do that” on pierced ears. It wasn’t a prohibition, so much as a
family tradition. No woman on the maternal side, as far back as we could
fathom, had pierced ears. I don’t know why not.
(When the Red Cross started taking those little blood type
samples from ear lobes instead of fingers, a nurse cooed over my untouched ear
lobes, and told me that only 3% of adult American women have unpierced ears. I had
also read that only 3% of American households had no TV, and since I fell into
both categories, I was mildly proud, figuring that perhaps these habits made me
“unusual,” possibly even “interesting.” A girl can dream.)
Then came the year I was in a cast for months (I was well
past 50), and got a clot inside the cast, and had to take blood thinners, and
among the many prohibitions, they said I could not get a tattoo (okay!) or
pierce my ears (exCUSE me?). I decided then and there that I would pierce my
ears after all, Do Not Tell ME What to Do, and as soon as the cast came off and
the clot went away, I Pierced Those Ears and began buying earrings, just like
my rafting friend.
But now, with stupid COVID-19, I can’t wear the nice earrings because they pop right off when I take off the mask, even the ones with decent backs. I’m wearing my RBG earings today, even though they are uncomfortable, because grieving should hurt a bit. But the question is, will we be wearing masks forever, and will I never wear my good earrings again?
That’s not really the question, I know. The question is, how
many more people have to get sick, and how many will die, and how many will
grieve, and will we lose health care coverage, and our rights, and The Whole Shebang?
We just passed 200,000 official COVID-19 deaths in the US, a number that our
President said would show he had done a good job, if we stopped there. We aren’t
stopping there.
The despair about my earrings is just one version of the many conversations going on right now amongst the all-but-3% of liberal women who have tumbled – Just Briefly, Hang On, We Are Coming Right Back – into the Pit of Despair in the wake of RBG’s passing. (One dear friend has hopped straight over Despair into Giddy Nihilism, but that’s actually okay, in her case. I give her a pass.)
When I started this blog, I thought it would be about
unexpected knock-on effects of COVID-19, stuff like how with all the stores
closed, my friendly UPS delivery lady had nowhere to stop and pee while she was
on her route, so I invited her to pee in my back yard if she had to, because I
was afraid to let her into my house. I can, if I try, turn the whole earring
despair thing into a riff on Imperative #4, supporting my local economy, because
I buy earrings from local artisans who I hope have switched to bejeweling hair
clips, because the earring and mask combo is going to be problematic for a
while. I could buy more earrings and just lose them, I suppose, but as soon as
I take my RBGs off, I’m going back to the pair I got when I first got my ears
pierced, the little gold posts that actually LOCK INTO PLACE. It was strange to
be a grown woman wearing these things, which are usually sported by one-year-old
Latina sweet-cheek youngsters. But they do not fall out.
I am mindful that this is just a symptom, a displacement of existential
sadness. I am mindful that I sound like Bertie Wooster having an
uncharacteristic Deep Thought, and that if Jeeves were here, he would work his
magic:
Bertie: There are moments, Jeeves,
when one asks oneself “Do trousers matter?”
Jeeves: The mood will pass, sir.


200,000 dead as a proportion of our population far surpasses anything in any other country, including the ones who are dealing with COVID-19 nearly as poorly as Dotard and the Republicans are. And yet, Dotard says if he hadn't reacted "perfectly" to this crisis, it could have been 2 million. (Hee's done nothing but make it worse, it need hardly be pointed out. Any actual mitigation of the death count is in spite, not because, of Dotard. For example, Governor Murphy in my state, NJ, has implemented steps that have kept numbers low in our state. Dotard and the Rs get zero credit for that; in fact, our #s would be even lower if we didn't have to deal with people from red states coming here and jacking the infection (and death) numbers up. Dotard and the Rs get credit for that - the deaths. They are a death cult.)
ReplyDeleteSo Dotard says "it *could* be 2 million" and enough of the voting population *buys* that to make this upcoming election too close to call. Think about that. (Or don't, if it is too upsetting. I get why it would. It is angering and upsetting to me, too.)
If this actually leads to the destruction of our democracy - we are currently the apocryphal frog in the pot of of water that is rising slowly in temperature so we may be there already! - it will be no comfort to know that this could and should have been prevented by people who know better but just don't care.
And by that I mean the death cult: The Republican Party. They opted to keep power. From McConnell on down to Romney. All of them. They want to turn this country into the type of kleptocracy that rules Russia. That's why they are on the verge of stealing yet another SC seat.
And in other news, trousers don't matter. I am nearly constantly in sweat pants and less these days. That is what we wear in verging-on-failed states.
"Apocryphal" could be "proverbial" but apparently it has been proven that frogs actually are NOT stupid enough to stay in water that is on the verge of boiling them alive.
DeleteBut enough Americans *are*...possibly.
Mr. Heisenberg, this is a family blog. "Sweatpants and less" is getting a bit racy.
DeleteWait!! Do you have a link to the study proving frogs will abandon the pot? I’d like that link.
Delete(Apparently Blogger wants the link even more fervently than I do, so it asked three times. Not sure what got into it.)
Deletehttp://archive-srel.uga.edu/outreach/ecoviews/ecoview071223.htm
Deletehttps://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2006/09/the-boiled-frog-myth-stop-the-lying-now/7446/
https://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2010/12/07/3085614.htm
cool. thanks. as you were.
DeleteThose links were excellent. Thanks.
Delete