September 16, 2020: Two Experiments -
1. Natural Air Freshener-
My daughter and I were on a road trip when she was a young
teen, and we stopped for lunch in a small town. As we were about to hit the
road again, I asked if she wanted “anything for the car.” I meant snacks.
But she considered and then said judiciously, “Maybe some eucalyptus.”
Right.
I didn’t think we were in a eucalyptus sort of place, but we
found a little florist who had a few sprigs, and we put them in the back
window. They smelled great.
I went to the store yesterday, urgent resupply, and there
was a bucket of eucalyptus. I grabbed a hefty batch, but in my defense, they
were rubber-banded together.
By the time I reached the checkout, multiple people had seen
my eucalyptus bundle and helpfully suggested I hang it in my shower. I told the
last one that I planned to tuck all the stems into my front waistband and walk
around in a private thicket.
She looked at me with newfound respect.
Report: Didn’t work. I could not smell a thing. But that’s
because my nose had given up. I thought I’d try the shower trick today.
2: Pre-Shower, aka Dirty Pictures:
Sorry in advance if these gross you out. My
friends have been posting all these pictures of groady air filters. I see your
air filters, and I RAISE YOU.
I was going to just take the aforementioned shower with eucalyptus-bush-hanging-from-the-soap-caddy-thng,
but then I thought, no, wait! Can we capture the miasma, for those who are not
in it?
Here, two bathwater shots:
If you are grossed out by the very concept of baths, I apologize, go your way. The point of these pix is that I was not just back from working in the fields, nor from fighting fires. I was in my house. And this is what washed off of me, or soaked out of me, after one day since the last shower. (And yes, squeamish ones, after soaking in this water I DID shower. I was just curious, had to see what would happen.)
The picture of legs and (indistinct) feet is intended to
show how very cloudy the water was. Also,
this isn’t dirt or dust (which was prevalent in the first, very windy days). It’s
everything that burned, everything that is in the pervasive smoke/crud. Trees
burned, and wooden houses, but also plastics, and insulation, and chemicals and
paint and cars and motor oil and (your turn, go ahead). That’s what we are
seeing and breathing.
SO.
Then I took the shower amidst eucalyptus.
Report: Didn’t do a darn thing. Bathroom doesn’t have a
nice, steamy eucalyptus smell. Nada. But I still don’t have much ability to
smell anything, so….
Made myself a pot of tea and a bowl of ice cream and retreated to the bedroom, formerly the “clean room,” but I think my DIY air purifier in there is getting tired. Report: Ice cream was excellent. This wasn’t an experiment. This was solace.




Yuck.
ReplyDeleteWhat's up with the squished paragraphs at the top?
(SOBBING) Oh, god, look, the paragraphs at the top are all squished, I don't know why and I (hiccup) just... can't... take any more........
DeleteAhem. Wow. A lot of people in my friend group report being not just ... stuffed up, or whatever, but very weepy, after days of this bad air. I usually go check how things look after posting, but I didn't this time.
Happened when I put the write-up for the two experiments together, from two different drafts. Huh. Good to know.
As ever, thank you for the assist.
I think I fixed them now. Do you think I fixed them now?
Yes.
DeleteDo you write these in some other program then copy and paste them into blogger? Because it will bring along a lot of the coding from that program. If you go into html view, you'll see what I mean. If you're doing that, that is probably what happened here the first time.
Don't cry. It's easily fixed, but it's easier to do it before you paste it into blogger because then the coding is there and it's pretty bad.
Sometimes I write them elsewhere, depends on what technology is to hand. How do I see html view?
DeleteHi, Celia. A few drops of eucalyptus oil in a shower are wonderful. Love the blog.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
Delete