August 17, 2020: Presidential Platform Plank #1 -

 I watched the first night of the online Democratic National Convention, and I had one big takeaway. 

Until we come up with something we can all sing (and something that doesn't have questionable lyrics in later verses), I think we should give the Star Spangled Banner to kids. We should just give it to them. They can hit those notes, and the notes above those notes. 


I haven't tried to create a personal presidential platform before, but it's time I started. 

Comments

  1. I remember there was an ep of "All in the Family" where Mike an Archie are watching a baseball game together (or something) and as the S-SB plays, Mike says it's an awful song for the usual reasons and Archie disagrees and then Mike says: "'O, say does that star-spangled banner yeh-et wave' - what kinda word is 'yeh-et'?" And Archie says, "I it's in the national anthem, it's a GOOD word! Now give me THAH-AT!!" and he grabs the remote from Mike.

    And I always thought it was weird that they had Mike come out against the rather common signing technique of melisma. I mean, what kinda word is "Pleee-ee-ee-ease"? Yet, without is, is the song that launched the Beatles* even possible? Maybe. But it would have sounded horrible.

    *"Love Me Do", of course. (And just about ever song after that.)

    "presidenntial" - the extra "n" is for "Never-Dotard".

    FOUND IT!!! https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2364166373853127

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Errata sheet:

    *and
    *If
    *singing
    *it
    *every

    I will spell "presidenntial" with the extra "n" from now on because who am I to correct you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Itt's Blogger. Itt's a free-range spelling plattform. Ttoday's special BOGO letttter? I won'tt ttell. Also, I fixed my ttypo. Tthanks.

      Delete
    2. Some people sign so beautifully, it's like dance. I think I've seen people sign with melisma. It's mesmerizing.

      Delete

Post a Comment