August 11 2020: Subtle Hints Я Not Lost on Us ....
...Aaaaand we are now within 100 days of the 2020 US presidential election!
Here's a Breaking News short I got in an email from the New York Times yesterday (only formatting and typography have been changed (not wording!!) in order to reveal the secret message):
|
"The E.P.A. plans to lift Obama-era controls on methane, a potent greenhouse gas, this week. It's the latest effort to weaken environmental rules. Monday, August 10, 2020 5:04 PM EST. |
|
THIS and any other regulatory changes put forth by the Trump administration in the latter half of 2020 COULD BE QUICKLY UNDONE in the first half of 2021, IF, as polls now suggest, JOE BIDEN WINS THE WHITE HOUSE AND DEMOCRATS TAKE CONTROL OF THE SENATE." See that? Isn't it clever? The Times is going above and beyond reporting, and offering potential solace: Here's another dreadful thing that will actually hurt us all! But it doesn't have to last long! We have an idea! Will getting rid of Trump banish the coronavirus? It won't. The virus doesn't care who is president. But we should gain leadership that at least tries to deal with a public health disaster using science and reasonable public policy. Will getting rid of Trump end racism in the US? It will not. The country got that disease at birth, and getting over it will happen over the long haul. Will it lead to police reform? I don't know, I hope so. Possibly. Long haul, incremental change, no doubt. But we can be fairly sure getting rid of Trump will help in other areas - the environment and the Post Office and Social Security and health care and voting rights and civil rights will stand a fighting chance. I've begun putting my efforts into this work, also known as "bothering people in distant states." More on that later. For now, I'd like to applaud the Times for their unsubtle urging above. (Yes, I made it less subtle using the magic of typography. But come on. How could I resist?) |

Here's for next time: Я
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'd try to make clear that "we got that at birth" refers to THE COUNTRY's original sin of slavery/racism, which we were born with. Individuals are not born racists as you know. But this is the kind of non-controversial statement people will nitpick. I know what you meant. CSW Understanding 'Я' I
Thank you for the reversed R and the good point. I fixed it. Impressed that I can swipe a backwards R from your comment and stick it into my headline! Should learn where backwards Rs live within Blogger, I suppose. Or something. I dunno. Got into typographical nightmares on this one, but in a good cause.
DeleteAs to the substance: I am made nervous by ANY assumption that Biden will win, and especially nervous when some consider it a foregone conclusion. That way will lead to yet another loss.
Delete