August 16, 2020: Really Pretty Stamps, and a Group Project!

I spent two hours last Saturday on a Zoom call with a bunch of get-out-the-vote types. It was an amalgamation of Swing Left, Indivisible Oregon, Vote Forward, the Jeff Merkley people, and … maybe another group?  (I should know all the groups, because they emailed me afterward, but I unsubscribed from all but one pronto. One is plenty. I can get back to the Zoom call next week with only one nudge.)

Bottom line: there were over 340 people on the call, and the organizers said that in two hours, we wrote more than 6,700 letters urging folks to vote. (Not Oregonians. Folks in swing states.) That seemed impossible, but then I realized I wrote 20 letters, so 6,700 isn’t beyond the realm of possibility. The goal is that we send one million letters, because one group did some research saying the response rate is an increase of between 2.5% and 3.2% in voting. (I would like to see this research, I admit.)

I’m not going to wait until I DO see the research, though. I’m going to write the letters. Also, postcards through another group, Postcards to Voters. 

Question:  Will this help? Good question! Suppose my letter or postcard spurs some reluctant citizen to vote. Will there be enough polling places open in all districts? Will foreign governments hack electronic voting machines? Will the current assault on the Post Office mean that voting by mail is hampered or doomed or pointless? Will the bad guys flood social media with doctored videos that discourage voting? (Yes, they’re on that already, a nice fake Russian production of a bonfire of Bibles right here in Portland!)

But here’s the thing: We have to keep trying, right?

It’s all whack-a-mole with the bad guys. Anything may be derailed. If we overthink, or fall into the perfectionist trap of looking for the One Perfect Solution – THIS will work! No, wait. What if they counter by doing THAT?– we don’t do anything. So I’m sending letters and postcards. (If nothing else, I have bought a whole lot of stamps, and some are pretty. Also - if the post office is able to deliver letters, the recipients will get something handwritten, and they’ll see those pretty stamps! (Yes, I’m annotating the back of the envelope with “Isn’t this a cool stamp?” and an arrow to the other side. What the heck.) And I made some truly exquisite postcards, using some gorgeous card stock. We’re looking for positives here.)

I’m also taking a moment to write a few thank you cards to public servants fighting the good fight. I do that once in a while. It cheers me no end. I figure even if some staffer sees it and recycles it, maybe that cheers up the staffer.

Different question: Why would I want to do another Zoom call? Can’t I just write letters in the privacy of my own room?

Yep, and I did that. And you can do it, if you are antsy and worried, and you’re not already maxed out. It’s super easy. I shall provide some links below. But I want to answer the Why question, and I don’t want to overwhelm those of you who have zero bandwidth.

I’m not wild about Zoom calls in general, especially when each person in a little box takes a turn, and nobody has a timer limiting the loquacious. But this Zoom call was a boost in another way.  I’ve realized, over the social-distancing months, that I miss a bunch of fundamental things, things that were buried underneath my habits and pastimes. For instance, I used to Meet New People now and then. Very little of that these days.

Also, I miss my choir (and the joy of knowing and singing with those people, and creating beauty with them, week after week), but underneath that, I miss Having Things on My Schedule, and more importantly, Participating in a Group Endeavor with a Shared Purpose. My biggest weekly group event for the past few months has been an hour of playing Trivia with my online team (formed post-pandemic). Playing Trivia is TRIVIAL, right? I know!

But that one hour of working together is a trip: we have a little sidebar Messenger chat going, and we’re texting, “Starts with an M!! Help! He was married to the woman with the eyelashes!!”  “The one in the ad for something?”  “ She had a Greek name!” “Oh! I almost have it!” It is bliss, and it is hilarious, pooling our fuzzy memories. And then we get to say How did we do? It’s the “we” part that I savor.

So on the Zoom call, they say “we” a lot. We (as noted above) ostensibly wrote 6,700 letters. We talked about effective messages. We listened to inspiring speakers. On the last call, a grizzled old activist said, “We need to win big.”  I hadn’t met him before, and he said WE. So for me, it was a great call.

(The rest of this post is just for people who want to do something. If you want to write to (potential) voters but have no stamps, I’ll share. Pick an organization, pick a voting bloc. You can choose Your People, or decide what you think is the most effective strategy:

Do you want to be totally nonpartisan, and encourage non-voters to register? Do you want to encourage registered voters to request their vote-by-mail ballots? Do you want to beg people-who-would-probably-vote-Democratic not to stay home? Start here, or here, or here....

Do you want to get on a Zoom call? Go to SwingLeft and click on Events. You can always log out.

Are you part of a specific constituency? There are a lot of groups urging others like themselves to vote:

Black people ( Reclaim our Vote), Latinx people, (Voto Latino),  Young people (The Alliance for Youth Action)

Don’t want to write letters at all? The Human RightsCampaign is working to clear the obstacles preventing transgender and nonbinary voters from voting.  They’ll take a donation.

If you want more options, Adopt a State.

Good hunting! (Sorry, I’ve been on a Battlestar Galactica binge. Yes, like that Portlandia sketch.  It’s a wonder I’ve written any cards at all. 

Comments

Post a Comment