February 7: Time for a New Suit -
Because I’m auditing a class at PSU, I get to use the wonderful pool in the gym. I showed up for a deep water exercise class one morning, and saw another swimmer struggling with something unseen, below the surface. “Wardrobe malfunction,” she said. I nodded.
“I’ve had this suit for years,” she said.
I gave her my “been there” smile. “Strange how stuff sometimes
disintegrates, isn’t it?” I said.
She was annoyed. “The fabric is perfectly good,” she said, “but
the stitching is coming apart.”
That got me thinking about “perfectly good,” and now I’m noticing
it everywhere.
“Perfectly good” isn’t like “perfectly balanced,” or “perfectly
seasoned,” which are straightforward positives. Something “perfectly good” is generally
… not. You wouldn’t say something was perfectly good unless its perfect
goodness was at least in question. There’s something defensive about it, or
argumentative, or, at a minimum, frustrated.
My pool pal was using “perfectly good” in its “don’t be
wasteful” and “frustrated” sense, which is a song of my people. The suit was
perfectly good, still, fabric-wise. It was only the damn STITCHING that had
failed.
“Perfectly good” has a lot of range. In its benign form, it’s
for small and debatable problems: the yogurt only one day past its (stupid,
arbitrary) pull date, the paper towel that mopped up a few drops of water.
Perfectly good yogurt, perfectly good paper towel. Don’t be a fussbudget.
But small and debatable flaws are in the eye of the
beholder. One person’s perfectly good is another’s unsavory: the perfectly good
lollipop (now that all the dog hair and dirt have been rinsed off) (cue sobbing
toddler). The perfectly good leftovers (now that all the mold has been scraped
off). The perfectly good sponge that smells fine to you, but smells like fish tank
sludge to me. And that’s before we use it on people. “He’s a perfectly good dentist!” Why? What’s
wrong with him?
I went to Google Scholar to see if I could find a Linguistics paper on “perfectly good,” and it didn’t show up in the first zillion hits. Most of the papers were in either Philosophy or Theology, and struck me as boring. But boring was better than the vaguely ominous ones (Engineering papers, for instance, on “perfectly good” bridges).
Then I went off to the Corpus of Contemporary American English (more than one billion words!), and searched to see which nouns most often follow “perfectly good.” Top three: REASON, REASONS, and EXPLANATION. I think these go with my sense that “perfectly good” is often used defensively. Further down the list were items that were more poignant, or more puzzling: JOB, MARRIAGE, CAKE, OMELET, GUMDROP (cue sobbing toddler?), SASHIMI (cue food poisoning?), PRESBYTERIAN, VIRGIN.
Your guess is as good as mine.
At the next deep water exercise class, my pool mate got
there before me, and surrounded herself with a ring of floating dumbbells and pool
noodles and whatnot. I asked, “How’s the wardrobe malfunction?” and she said, “Got
a new suit. Sixteen dollars. On sale.” I couldn’t see it, but I bet it’s a
perfectly good suit.

Was she able to exit the pool that first time without giving everyone a perfectly good glimpse of her naughtybits?
ReplyDeleteIt's weird that "perfect" - which smells like a superlative - is being used with "good", which doesn't even rise to the level of a comparative, much less a superlative. I mean, yeah, technically, "perfect" is not a superlative*, but generally we go something like "This beer is fine" to "This beer is good/great" to "This beer is perfect". To be using "perfectly" with "good" (or "fine") is just weird, but commonplace and not incorrect.
*Or is it?
Oh dear. Now I'm thinking about compartives and superlatives, including, say, GOOD-BETTER-BEST, which is pretty irregular, GOOD not being at all in the BE-family. (Could something be Perfectly Better? Perfectly Best? Nope.) And then a rabbit hopped past and I thought: Wait! MORE and MOST might (at a stretch) be the -er (MO-ER) and the -est (MO-EST) of something, but if so, WHAT EXACTLY is that they are comparing and superling? Is it SOME? SOME - MORE - MOST?
DeleteWe've got a MORE perfect union. You could have a MOST perfect evening. But that's just poetry, yes? My OED pal says perfect is per-through, plus facere-to make or do, and it means "complete." I feel like that is echoing something in French, but I'm not sure what....
Delete