February 2, 2023: Stroop Test -

There is a trucking company out here (maybe everywhere) named Yellow. The word YELLOW is printed in giant letters on the sides of  their trucks.  

The trucks are either white or bright orange. The logo is bright orange, and the lettering is black. Nothing at all is yellow in color.

This discrepancy makes my brain hurt. I have tried to convince others that it should be illegal. It's dangerous for me to witness a horror like this when I'm driving.  

My Linguistics bauble of the week is the Stroop test. It's the same basic thing, and it assesses how well you can pay attention to the color displayed, and not the word. It takes all of one minute, if you are tempted to give it a try.

I did it four times. At my very fastest, I was "better than 40%" of people who took the test. I'm feeling very sad for anyone worse at this than I am. Ye gods.

Comments

Post a Comment