December 6, 2022: 'Tis Indeed the Season -
We were out at the Rich People’s Nursery, which was chockablock with gorgeous Christmas trees and wreaths and swags and garlands and festoons* and pots of paper whites - not to mention Rich
People - and Rick pointed at a wreath. I wasn’t sure what he was getting at,
and I said, “Do you want to get that one?”
He said, “No! It’s $85!”
Behind me, I heard a loud gasp. A beautiful Rich Woman,
overhearing him, had clapped her hand to her heart.
She wasn’t gasping at the price.
She gave Rick a baleful “you utter Scrooge” glare, and then
said, as if in support of me in my role as poor, mistreated Bob Cratchit, “’Tis
the SEASON!”
I grinned at her. She
meant well. We didn’t burst out laughing until we were driving away.
Anyway, I’ve been chuckling and declaiming, “’Tis the SEASON!”
in accusatory tones. It’s kindof fun.
* "Festoon" is fun too. It can be both noun and verb, news to me.

Last weekend I was at the grocery store with Isaac. He picked up a block of cheese shaped like a santa hat and said "can we buy this?" and I said "not till after christmas, when it will be a lot cheaper" and I got mega side-eye from another shopper. Tis the season indeed.
ReplyDeletehahahahahahaha!
DeleteI'll sell you my tree trimmings for half that.
ReplyDeleteTwenty bucks. Take it or leave it.
Delete