December 23, 2022: Holiday Cornucopia -

Much white stuff on the ground outside. Not a sheet of ice. Not falling like snow, but falling like sand, tiny, hard pellets, shoosh, shoosh. 

Apparently, ice crystals falling from the sky are sleet. I thought sleet was wetter than snow, but tboth Google and Rick say the stuff outside right now is sleet. Good to know!

I put on my Microspikes, so I could walk out and move the car. I love many things with a pure devotion, and my Microspikes are in that category. I know, people like those rubber Yaktrak things, and they are cheaper. But I was given Microspikes for Christmas years ago - a gift I mistakenly thought lacked romance – and the first time I used them, I was smitten. This is that original set, still, so if you amortize it out.... But the main thing is, ice no longer worries me.

(My British daughter-in-law wants Americans to know that there is NO connection between Christmas and tartans, and that table runner is not "the Christmas runner.")

I moved the car because it was under a tree, and trees have been coming down today, five in one friend’s neighborhood. Who knows what will happen overnight? 

I turned the car on to warm up while I scraped the windows, and saw that All Classical was playing something called “Traditional Christmas Cornucopia.” Then I was assailed by “And a partridge in a pear HALLELUJAH! HALLELUJAH! Slip a sable under the tree!” in the few seconds before I got it turned off. 

Phew.

I’m thinking there may be a life lesson in there – any musical compilation with “Cornucopia” in the title might be approached with suspicion. “Medley” is scary enough. 

There was a moment in college when a new guy took over the food service, and all the dishes got fancy names. I recall working the shift where I had to sling “Steamboat Medley” onto plates. My fellow undergrads would say, “What’s in Steamboat Medley?” and I’d say, “Steamboat.” Perks of the job.

Merry Holidays, all! May you get to enjoy a few of your favorite things, whatever they may be.

Comments

  1. What do you do to "turn on" your car? What is your car into? I'm not asking because I intend to kink-shame your car (or you, for turning it on) - I am just idly curious. And after you turn on your car, do you start it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, now that you put it that way, it does sound strange. I think I used the phrase (not that this explains anything) because I find the whole keyless ignition thing so strange. Both our vehicles are keyless now, and so was the loaner car I had while mine was getting fixed. It's not quite the same as using someone else's microwave, not quite as baffling, but the placement of the ignition buttons is not standardized, if you know what I mean. Nor the other buttons. I kept turning off the radio, or changing the thermostat, in the loaner when I meant to ... what is our verb NOW?, I ask you ... end the car. OH, plus, the loaner radio kept playing even when the engine was ended. A feature, I guess. The radio WOULD stop playing if you opened the door. These little practical jokes/intelligence tests inflicted on us by objects are such a challenge.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't eat Steamboat Medley unless I knew it had real steamboat in it. I can't stand tofu steamboat, aka "tofeamboat".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ImpossibleSteamboat stuff is pretty good! Can't tell it from real steamboat! Spendy, though....

      Delete

Post a Comment