March 16, 2022: Inanimate Clamor -
I don’t know if this tiny bar of hotel soap is very needy, or very bossy, or if it is just extremely good at articulating its needs. But I’m leaning towards needy.
Sometimes it seems that too many things are talking to me. The soap reminded me of a hot-air hand dryer at a coffee shop up the road that proudly proclaimed, “I’m a touchless dryer!” On it, someone had taped a helpful little note that said, “Sometimes I need to be touched.” And on that note, someone else had written, “I hear you.”
I always found that one poignant, and yes, you may roll your eyes.
I don’t mind that the yogurt container lid wishes me well, or that the inside of the ketchup bottle-cap has wisdom to impart. I doubt the phone pole's sincerity, but someday I will bring a step stool and a Sharpie and get up there and write, "So are you!" and then we'll be even. (Are they still called phone poles?)
And I'm inured to tea products coming on all aphoristic. They can’t help themselves.
But I’m unsure about the attitude of the Alpenrose milk cartons, joshing all of us who have opened the wrong end. Do they yearn to do standup? Are they snarky? And more intriguingly – do they work? Do people read the little message and check themselves, or do they blearily open the wrong end anyway, early in the morning?And finally, where ARE our dustpans? That’s my handwriting. I found the note recently, sitting on a shelf where it wasn’t the week before. I don’t know exactly how it appeared, nor do I know when I wrote it, but it would have been a while ago. Where WERE our dustpans? It’s a mystery, but it seems they have returned, and not one of them has an exhortation engraved on it. I respect their silence.
I hate to be a stickler, but the note *actually* says "WHERE are our dustpans?" You misrepresented its intent. Unless, of course, you were answering the note, viz,. "Indeed, mystery note, inquiring minds want to know: Where ARE our dustpans?"
ReplyDeleteI personally do not have a dog in this fight and care not a fig about where you dustpans might be. You play fast and loose with dustpan storage, you deserve to lose them. Harsh, I know. But fair.
And now I am answering the comment, viz,. "Where are YOUR dustpans?," or even "Where are your DUSTPANS?" and having done that, I am looking up how to use "viz," which I must start doing soon.
DeleteHoly mackerel, it's pronounced "to wit!" Sez Wikipedia! I had NO IDEA.
DeleteIn contradistinction to i.e. and e.g., viz. is used to indicate a detailed description of something stated before, and when it precedes a list of group members, it implies (near) completeness. Viz. is usually read aloud as "that is", "namely", or "to wit", but is sometimes pronounced as it is spelled, viz.: /ˈvɪz/.
You will note I misused it there. Viz. is not synonymous with "say" - it's synonymous with "i.e." or "namely", but I clearly was using it to mean, "say". Grammar fail!!
ReplyDeleteWeirder still. it is from the Latin, "videlicet" - "it is permissible to see". How do you get "viz." from THAT. Some olden Brit authors used the full "videlicet". I think Fielding used it in "TJ". [Nope. Just checked. He used "viz." Maybe Smollett?]
Even more fun - "licet" goes with "license" and the permission it grants, as well as "licentiousness" and the permissiveness it entails.
ReplyDeleteAnd better yet, "videlicet" is in the jussive subjunctive, like "Fiat lux," or "Let there be light." (If instead it were in the first person, it would be in the "hortatory subjunctive," like "Let's permit seeing.")
So as a jussive, it's more like "let seeing be permitted," than like "it is permissible to see." I think the jussive subjunctive and the hortatory subjunctive are damned cool.
Also, if you drink enough alcohol and slur as hard as you can, you can make "videlicet" come out like "viz." Kindof.
And finally, which Smollett should I read, and don't say Jussie. I know it's Tobias. I have read no Smollett, more's the pity. Roderick Random? Peregrine Pickle? Let me be steered.
I think I read Clinker, or was supposed to in an 18th century novel course; quite possible it got cut because we ran out of time. I remember nothing of it if I read it, which makes me suspect I never did read it. So I can't recommend anything by him. I just wish I could remember which author used "videlicet".
ReplyDelete