March 1, 2022: Paint the Alphabet -

If all I wanted to gain, by painting the alphabet in various clear and obscured ways, was getting out of a rut, then the Paint the Alphabet Project can be declared a success.

If I wanted to achieve subtlety and brilliance, and avoid pictorial cliché, not so much. 

A, for instance, really should be something less predictable than a mountain. 

And if you saw the rejected A's, you would not complain about the mountain. Trust me.

I didn't expect to find the rounded shapes the hardest, but they were. B and C nearly drove me mad.

                                                                                        D 

E and F

G was the very last letter I tackled. I painted about six versions. 

I was getting stuck. All the other letters were up on the wall, and I didn'twant G to look like them.

H was one of the first two shapes I painted. A friend bought it, but she gets upset when I call it H.

I, J, and K are in a frame-and-vase shaped like L. I say so. It's abstract art! There's an L! 

M, N and O were painted before the bridges in E and F.  

P and Q are the most obscured letters, and I am fond of them. A friend calls this "Unmade Bed."

It is somehow fitting that this whole post is formatting strangely. Abstract art!

R is supposed to have an ermine-trimmed collar on her cloak, but people think she's waving. 

S is a curvy letter, and centered here (the Rule of Thirds abhors centered things). I like it anyway.

T and U were first in cursive, with a little heart, like "tu" in French. Romance is apparently dead.

V, W, X, and Y all showed up together.

Z (like H) was painted on the first day of the Composition class. It all seemed so simple.

Four months later, I finished G.

Here's the list:











Comments

Post a Comment