March 11, 2022 - Happy Vaxxiversary!

One year ago today, I got my first COVID vaccination! Had to drive down to Albany for it, and saw a rainbow on the way back home.

(This painting, by Martin Mullen, is called "Untitled." I know what I'd call it, but Martin didn't ask my opinion.)

Today, a whole year after vaccines became available for folks my age, one of my tribe has COVID and feels crummy, but NOT deathly ill, so fingers crossed it passes swiftly and with no lingering effects. Yes, she’s vaccinated and boosted. Hooray!

The mask mandate in Oregon ends tomorrow, and it will be interesting to see what, if anything, happens to caseloads and hospitals and such when it does. But two nights ago I got together with my best local buds, and we went out to a restaurant that was absolutely hopping. I came home and told Rick I had had a great time, but would be dead soon. I know, it’s not funny, but boy, it was a psychic adjustment to be with a lot of unmasked people.

Anyway, today I am celebrating the whole Vaccination Anniversary, which makes so many things possible and not terrifying. I went to the Art Museum and talked to strangers, went to lunch outside (nice day, but I’m still glad they have those outdoor heaters) with a pal, and had both tater tots and beer (yes, I went wild), went to Bishop’s Close and saw the mountain and the salamanders, and talked to yet another stranger there. He teaches high school physics, and you would have thought he got enough people-time, but he talked my ear right off. I know all about his salary, his wife, son, and daughter, his college career in gymnastics, you name it. So either he, too, is starved for strangers, or he is just like that.

Lovely day.

Comments

  1. They may drop the mask mandates here at the library soon, too. Got that BA.2 variant bearing down on us though so...too soon? But then again, this can't go on forever and I get the feeling there will never be a time when we are totally variant free. Just get vaxxed, get boosted, and act as safe as you can. Keep waering masks when you don't have to if that makes you feel safer. But I understand the push to lift the mandates.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment