March 26, 2020:  Dog Vomit and the Imperative Numbering System; A Pause to Celebrate Shared Terminology -


I gotta say, (this will only mean something to those who read the March 22 ode to my wise friend Dana), if any of you want to call your buddies and say, "Swimming in Dog Vomit over here, wanna trade?" it is fine with me. I freely give you access to DV as shorthand.
(Saying DV means you know your awful Ramifications are not actually fatal, but they are still AWFUL, and you want to know if your buddy is in any shape to listen to you weep, without saying something crushing like, "What are you whining about? You aren't DEAD, are you?" People are stressed out, and your buddy may or may not be able to listen, you never know, so DV is a safe sort of "trigger warning" way of starting the conversation. You're welcome. Go forth!)
Also, if you want to say to your friends who are going in circles and occasionally freaking out, "Well, he's a 4," that's fine with me. It saves time and handily lumps a whole bunch of stuff into one definable category. You can also say, "4's DO have a point, but when they are PURE 4, and prioritize their imperative over 1, 2, or 3, then they are fanatical and scary and dangerous." That's okay with me too. Go for it. No problem. Shorthand is a godsend, and naming a problem helps to deal with it, sometimes. Maybe now.
(Saying, "He's a 4," works for thinking about those who are fixated on the economy, and who HAVE A POINT that truly deserves a balanced consideration, but some of whom seem to live in a slightly unreal universe, AS IF the economy were the highest good and also, puzzlingly, AS IF the economy will be fine even if a whole bunch of us die or are ill for a long time, which I personally think is an odd belief,economic-science wise. Also, the concept of what one friend called, in deepest sarcasm, "the useless 2.5%" who will die if we keep the economy going (the old, frail, etc.) is, I believe. an oversimplification of the situation as it is unfolding. I think all the data we have, from everywhere, is suspect, so it is hard to draw conclusions, but I also think it's easy to pick off old folks en masse on cruises and in care facilities, so .... have you noticed all the stories about younger folks dying? Non-useless younger folks.? NOTE: USELESS is satire, don't jump down my throat, I'm a grandparent, I don't really mean useless. Geez.)

Comments

  1. I talked to a 4 day before yesterday. He said he was a retired physician believe it or not. He was talking about the economy and how we needed to open the schools. I tried to talk about how hard it would be to social distance in a crowded classroom and he actually said "who would they (the children) give it to anyway? I had to leave before I broke social distancing and punched him.

    We do not see many people in Sunriver which is good. My tolerance and empathy for 4s who place their portfolio before people is very limited...ok nonexistent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think more and more, people are realizing that there is no pure 4, that people are actually part of the economy, that a sick family or a sick teacher is also a drain on that precious economy. I am surprised your physician 4 didn't start lecturing you about 1 as well. I have a few physicians in my world who are super into "I wish I could get it and get it over with." I was rude to one this week, told her she wasn't trying hard enough, surely she had an in with a local ER. Then I apologized and said I hoped she could get a mild case, or know that if she got it, it would be mild. As a person who had a mild case (probably, unless, you know, I didn't have it at all and had some other awful thing), I do not recommend mild cases.

      Delete

Post a Comment