November 7, 2022: Comeback Flashback -
I went on a Comeback Tour in April, 2021, driving to Seattle to say hi to old friends and meet some pandemic babies. I sat on porches (we weren’t going inside much) for brief hellos, and they were a treat.
On the last day, I was driving down the freeway when BANG! Something
- likely a rock, but we never found it - shattered my moon roof, and I was covered
with little squares of safety glass: in my hair, down the back of my neck, all
over my lap. I didn’t pull over, just drove to my last scheduled stop, where my
friends kindly shop-vacced the car, taped cardboard over the moon-roof-hole,
and sent me home.
Today, I’m off on another adventure, my “NEW” comeback tour
(nicknamed for stops in Newark, New Providence (New Jersey), New Haven, and New
York).
I’ve been fretting - what if I get sick; what if the sketchy
AirBnb in New Haven doesn’t exist? The fretting segued into a wee-hour
highlight reel of Mishaps From Travels Past: the keys flushed down the toilet, the purse
lost in England, the purse lost in Scotland (SAME DAMN PURSE, it clearly wanted
out), the one-way alley in Philadelphia, the plane ticket thrown away in
Saskatoon, the bed-bug bites in Sequim, the jellyfish welts in Florida, the trip
to China where my plane was rerouted and I didn’t know where I was, and I
couldn’t read my boarding pass.
And then the highlight reel turned happier, and I thought
Yeah, but I’m still here, proof that things always worked out. I have a fond
memory of my savior in China, a middle-aged woman athlete wearing volleyball
warmups. She had no English, but was
keen at spotting the bamboozled. She plucked my boarding pass from my grasp,
marched me to my gate, pointed to a bench and gave me a big, clear SIT, STAY
signal. No English needed.
Then I decided the moon roof was a metaphor! (Are you not
like this when fretting in the middle of the night? Well, welcome to my world.)
If something goes wrong on this trip, it may be because danger dropped from the
sky, something no contingency plan could have foreseen! And chances are, I’ll
still be here when that’s over….
My seatmate today on the first segment of my journey - the five
a.m. to Seattle - was Stephanie. She beamed when I sat down, and said she was
nervous.
Stephanie is sixty-one. She has two grey hairs (“I EARNED
them!”), lives in an RV, has never driven a car, doesn’t use “those computers,”
has never been away from her husband, and until today had never been on an
airplane. Stephanie is headed to Florida+ to see her son for the first time in
twelve years, and to meet her grandson, age ten.* She’ll be there a month. She
is taking one carry-on with some shorts and tees, but no sandals, because there
are snakes and alligators in Florida, and she’ll be wearing shoes.
I didn’t get to be Stephanie’s travel savior, but I told her
that loud noise was the wheels getting stowed, and I did a fine interpretive
dance explaining the train and the terminals she’d navigate at Sea-Tac, and I
said air currents in the clouds were making the ride bumpy, and it was normal. She
knew that. A different grandkid had told her. “Turbulence,” she said, savoring the word.
I offered her my hand to hold, but she declined. I listened
to her tales of her sister and her husband and her kids, and her dogs, and the
years she worked as a caregiver in a home for Alzheimer’s patients. Best story:
at one point, Della was a resident of the home, and so was a guy who was a
retired mortician. Della used to freak out
unexpectedly, and one day she said, “I need my hair done! Who’s going to
do my hair?” and the guy said, “If you lie down on the table, I’ll do it for
you. I can do your makeup, too.”
Cross-country with Stephanie might have been a long day, but
the trip to Seattle was a ball, and for that stretch, at least, I stopped
fretting.
+ In my New Jersey hotel room tonight, I watched the Weather
Channel people talking about Subtropical Storm Nicole, which might become
Hurricane Nicole, and is aimed RIGHT WHERE Stephanie's son lives, Jensen Beach.
*Not a typo. I’m still processing this.



Comments
Post a Comment