October 7, 2021: Sentimental Journey in Three Vignettes -

Drove to the seafood market out by 82nd, sad stretch of town, but hey, where better to support local biz? Great market, still. One parking space, next to a car with the hood up. Guy needed a jump. Sure! Realized once I looked more closely that it wasn’t just a beater, it was both car and home, not uncommon, alas, in that stretch. Repositioned my car so my cables would reach.

It went fine, and he was very relieved. He crossed himself twice (not like he was crazy or manic; he was still in his car, it was before he undid the cables, he wasn’t out on the street doing something odd), and bowed his head in prayer. He undid the cables, thanked me, wanted to give me something in return, no, no, it’s cool. I had to move my car back into a reasonable slot, and while I did, he rummaged and brought out this pristine American flag, all folded up, maybe the cleanest thing in that chaotic mess, the car duct-taped, black-plastic windowed, windshield crazed, IN THIS HOUSE, ALL PEOPLE MATTER placarded. That sort of auto-home, stuff stacked to the ceiling.

I interpreted the offered gift of the untouched flag thus: he was a vet, the flag was a prized possession, and he wanted to give me a nice thing. At which, I got choked me up.

Maybe I was being fanciful, and sentimental.

Maybe he had no use or room for the flag, but he couldn’t throw it away, and I looked like a person who would take it off his hands. You may find that more likely. I dunno. I choked up.

I may have been primed to choke up. Lifed has been life-ing this week. My best friend’s lovely mom, a big favorite of mine, is having a big decline. Another friend’s 101-year-old mom has COVID. She’s okay, actually, but 101. A third elderly friend died yesterday, surrounded by loving family, not COVID, not tragic, but wow, three older women doing mortality and morbidity stuff within two days! So I called my sweet mother in law, who doesn’t leave the house but didn’t answer. Is she okay? A group of little businesses on Hawthorne burned down this week, two firefighters hurt but okay, nobody died. Still, a neighborhood blow and the second fire in about a month. I got my COVID booster, and it wasn’t bad, but I was kindof tired and spacey for half a day, maybe that took some starch out of me. My dog went to the vet yesterday, and/but he’s all fixed up today, no drama. I saw a lifelong friend I only see once a year, and we did our big annual check in. I get really sentimental every time we do that.

Maybe I was pre-tenderized, and saw the flag offer in that light.

Squared my shoulders, got my seafood, next stop the fabric store which is ALWAYS empty, how do they survive? Support local biz! Told the sole clerk that I was making a doll-sized blanket for the grandkid’s stuffed penguin, and I was looking for this … I don’t know what it’s called. But when I was small, I had a blankee. And my blankee had this satin ribbon edging all around it, and I loved the feel of that stuff. And the clerk said, I remember that stuff! And I said, Yeah, I used to stroke my cheek with it as I fell asleep!

And my voice broke.

Oh. Did not see that coming. Apparently I was nearing a blankee breakdown in the fabric store. Self-deprecating chuckle!

It was time to go home, have a cup of tea, take a sentiment vacation, or if that failed, mourn my baby blankee in private!

Two blocks from home, the quiet little neighborhood intersection is blocked by an SUV with the back gaping open, a giant oak rolltop desk lying in the road. A young woman in yoga pants and a pink hoodie is frantically trying to lift the desk, which is not going to happen.

I had some surgery recently, not supposed to lift heavy things, but… no, I’m joking. I would never try to lift that thing .  And she has no mask. But three youngish types are joining her. I think I can go. The rolltop will need a doctor, but the crew on the scene has everything under control. So I make a detour and approach my house the other way but …

There she is again! There’s her SUV! The desk, by now seriously askew, is blocking 20th and Lincoln. Not a good idea. Pink hoodie is crying and gasping for breath. I should help somehow.   

I put on my mask and get out, and a guy on a bike pulls up. And then drivers who are stopped in all directions  get out of THEIR cars. And a great team of strong helpers lifts the battered desk – repeatedly, alas, as it only fits in one direction, and even then the back has to be tied closed. But drivers who are too far back to grasp the situation are trying to squeeze past, so two of us transform into traffic cops. YOU! IN THE PRIUS! STOP RIGHT THERE! (Eye contact! Fine.  Good.) Now, YOU, you over THERE! Red Ford! You squeeze by!

Traffic cop was fun. They’d approach, exasperated, performing the traditional WHAT THE HELL? gesture, then get this quizzical half smile. (“Calling all units. We have a rolltop desk down at 20th and Lincoln. Repeat, a rolltop situation, 20th and Lincoln.”)  

By the time I got in the door, I had cheered up. Nice work, team.

Comments

Post a Comment