May 12, 2021: Nipping in the Bud -

(You have until the bottom of this post to guess what that last language in the list is. I guessed wrong.)

We have an election happening May 18, and I hadn’t gotten to the Voter’s Pamphlet yet. (Yes, I know, the last “safe” day to mail was yesterday, but I’m a drop box person.) Voting was on my "soon" list, but my interest was piqued – hard - this morning, when a friend posted that local elections matter, and school district elections matter, because every politician started somewhere, maybe even at the Education Service District, and some things need to be nipped in the bud.

Ooh, a true observation - and what could she possibly be referring to?

I sat right down to the Voter’s Pamphlet, with my tea, and yes, she was right. There were buds I wanted to nip. 

Case in point, the candidate who left a rich and wide-ranging statement asserting that racism really isn’t a thing, that the schools are teaching inaccurate history (and also cannot teach reading or arithmetic any more), and hinting darkly that violence is bound to happen if public schools remain ”open.” Still, I found her second-to-last sentence absolutely convincing:

“Win or lose I will attend PPS board meetings.”

I have no doubt.

(It's Somali. You're welcome.)

Comments