April 16, 2021: The Bees and the Trees -
I am upset about large things - guns and racism and homelessness and vandalism and refugee limits, and the loss of my old friend who died - and it’s slopping over into Outsize Irritation about small things. Irritation is a step up from being flattened, but not a big step.
Today, I am wildly irritated by unsolicited paper products.
I SAID it was outsize.
The Save the Bees people sent me a multi-page plea for
support, plus a little Save the Bees bookmark, ordinarily unremarkable, but annoying
today. Save a tree, bee people! I don’t want your dumb bookmark! I have
countless dumb bookmarks, and I still use a scrap of something or other to mark
my place in books.
The Bee bookmark wouldn’t have bugged me so much if it hadn’t
followed on the heels of a thick packet from the Arbor Day Foundation. I like
bees! I like trees! And I did not ask these people to pester me.
The Arbor Day packet was intended to guilt me into sending money, of course, and the deal was that if I sent in a donation, they would plant three trees someplace. Trusting that I would do my bit, not even waiting to see if I came through, the Arbor Day folks had included three lovely cards, with gorgeous photos of outdoorsy things like a canoe and mountains and a wee fox kit, emblazoned with noble quotes from Rachel Carson and such. On the inside, each card said that a tree had been planted in honor of the recipient. When I sent in my money, I could a) sponsor some trees, b) feel virtuous and c) signal my virtue by mailing the cards to three environmentally-conscious friends or relations! Win, win, win!
This put me into a tiny rage. The tree people had felled
some trees to make cards I should not WASTE, but could not in good conscience
USE. (I checked, by the way, and the cards didn’t mention being made from
recycled paper.) Curse you, tree people! It’s bad enough when some news outfit
sends me an unsolicited calendar, but the TREE people? Also, I resent having my
guilt chain yanked. I didn’t harvest the trees to make the unwanted cards (and
the rest of the thick solicitation packet, the testimonial about how important
trees are, etc.), so why should I feel guilty putting the cards into the
recycle bin?
Remember those old “You can help…. OR you can turn the page!”
magazine ads for whatever it was, maybe Save the Children? I got a solicitation
like that today from St. Jude. Don’t you have even TEN DOLLARS to spare? Prime
guilt-chain yankers, but at least they don’t drop a child off on your doorstep.
See, now I’m just fulminating. Guilt will make me fulminate, guaranteed. I
turned the page, and I still feel crummy about it.
Honestly, I don’t want to be this crabby. It’s a temporary
condition. I used to roll my eyes at people who fussed about minor swag,
customers who would say Please don’t give away tiny erasers with your company
name on them, because you are supporting the toxic eraser industry (I made that
one up, but you get the idea).
Or thank-you items! I
do some volunteer work for my alma mater, and some of my fellow volunteers used
to write Reply All notes every year when we’d get our volunteer thank-you gifts.
They were, I thought, being fuss-budgets: Please do not send me a thank-you
flash drive made in Country X, which has a terrible human rights record. That
sort of thing. And yet, they weren’t exactly wrong, and now here I am, grousing
about three unsolicited cards and a bookmark.
It could be worse, I suppose. Oregon Field Guide is
re-running a piece on Invasive Species Barbecue, ie, how to cook up various
weeds and invasive animals, including frogs and crayfish. I like crayfish as
much as the next person, and I grasp that some of them are bullying our native
species, but somehow, the whole barbecue idea has a tiny whiff of revenge to
it. Or maybe I’m projecting. It would be one thing to recycle the Arbor Day
cards, and something else to make a giant bonfire and burn them, right?
Anyway, I dug the cards back out of the recycling, and
inserted a “NOT” in the message. A tree has NOT been planted in your honor! Now
I need to think long and hard about who should receive them, because it has to
be someone who appreciates my killer wit. There are only three of these cards.
They are collector’s items! Act now, and one could be yours!

Comments
Post a Comment