February 3, 2021 - Green Shoots -
The garden is going full steam. Also the mud. It’s February.
Some things continue despite the change of administration: Randy Rainbow lambastedMarjorie Taylor Greene, proof that he can thrive even with Trump out of office. It wasn’t his most hilarious work, but she is pretty disturbing, so a lack of hilarity was appropriate.
What Trump Can Teach Us About Con Law, which has
been a mainstay of my podcast life for the past few years, brought out a new
episode about Incitement, proof they can thrive for a while yet. Sigh. It will
be nice when they no longer have topics to explore. The hosts seemed a bit worn
out, though the episode was a gem - but aren’t we all pretty worn?
My friend’s sourdough starter, which had been with her for
the whole pandemic, went off, producing a loaf of oh-that-can’t-be-right orange
bread, and she got a little bit tearful. One of my Trivia teammates couldn’t
come to the weekly online contest, and I got a little bit tearful.
And yet! I find in myself some green shoots rising. I got an
email from some cut-rate airline ticket place that said, “Time to start
thinking about a trip!” and I thought: Back off, I do not need assignments from
you people! But also, YES! (I want to go see the new Moynihan Hall at Penn
Station, because it looks cool. And it’s not so much what I want to do, as that
I am letting myself want to do things, or my psyche is doing it without me exactly
“letting myself.”)
No, we are not vaccinated. This is Oregon, and teachers are
going first, and I’m glad it wasn’t up to me to decide on the order of the
rollout. I find I can see all sides on this one.
It will happen in time. My friends continue to get
vaccinated, and I’m getting vicarious thrills and chills as they do. It’s
February.

Comments
Post a Comment