February 18, 2021: Virtual Travel Might Be a Mile in Your Shoes

My alma mater offers alumni excursions to faraway lands, none of which trips I have ever taken, because they cost a bundle. In addition to the usual lodging, meals and transportation, each trip is led by a faculty member who holds forth on something academically relevant – a music professor talks about Mozart in Salzburg, or what have you. I pine for one trip: a boat excursion with a zoology prof, to the Galapagos. But it is way beyond my reach, just a fantasy. There is much to be said for fantasies.

Anyway, actual excursions are not on offer this year, natch. Instead, next month, the university is offering the first in a series of virtual excursions, this one featuring a Zoom lecture every day, ten days in all, five different worthy lecturers.

The virtual trip is to Italy, and costs less than a thousand dollars (barely), and can be augmented with two hours of Italian every morning, for not too terribly much more. I’m not signing up, even though it costs a fraction of a real trip, and even though I have been gently mocked by dear friends for being a ridiculous Italophile. I’m not signing up because it’s a fortune for ten Zoom lectures, and – more importantly - because the whole “virtual travel” idea makes me something between sad and inconsolable. I don’t know why - it’s not tragic. It is, arguably, better than nothing, for lots of people. One of these years, I won’t be able to tackle big trips, and something like this might be a godsend. I’m sure it will be a bunch of EXCELLENT Zoom lectures. It’s just not my cup of tea, if “not my cup of tea” can be expanded to encompass “makes me want to cry.”

Maybe it’s the home page for the trip. Look at that sunset and those wine glasses. Look at the tabs for “Itinerary” and “Accomodations.”  My accommodation, were I to sign up, would be my guest room. (If you click on Itinerary, it tells you which Zoom lecture happens which day.) It’s like a taunt.

So the whole “virtual excursion” invite deflated me. Of course, I can get emotional over all sorts of things lately. It’s been a snow and ice siege on top of the pandemic isolation, this week. A bunch of trees came down, a bunch of friends were stranded without power or heat, a bunch of tempers frayed badly. We were fine, here, but I was worried about locals, and I could extend that worry to those suffering in Texas, or, basically, anywhere.

A friend missed his vaccine appointment, made it to the venue the next day, and was told that the pharmacy had gotten power back only ten minutes before he arrived. They’d had to toss a week’s worth of vaccine because they lost their refrigeration. I got choked up over the missed shot, and over the wasted vaccine. Then he got rescheduled, and he got his shot today, and I got choked up over that, too. So I can do the sads and the happies, both misty-eyed.

The Oregon Health Authority reported today than an infant had died of COVID, diagnosed and lost the same day. Heartbreaking. But yesterday, they featured an article in which disabled adults who had gotten vaccinated described the process – how they got to the vaccination centers, how the shot felt, how they did in the aftermath. Several mentioned being grateful to have been prioritized, and said it made them feel valued (lump hits throat). Everyone quoted was upbeat and inspiring. I sent the happy- and-grateful-disabled-adults story to a friend who had said he was feeling terrible about the state of the world, and needed to be cheered up with good stories. It was a little bit random, and only a small slice of the world, but it was a nice slice, and he liked it.

Comments

  1. First up, sorry for all the sadness you are experiencing due to your people-person orientation. As I explained to you, I am many things but NOT THAT, and so I can understand those feelings only by way of analogy, the way a Martian who does not need to breathe might try to understand oxygen deprivation. They might know it *hurts*, but not the *way* it hurts. So I FEEL you (by analogy) and here's a (virtual) hug.

    When we get out of this pandemic, please don't make the first thing you do be a cruise. You don't want to dodge COVID just to end up getting that extra-added bonus that cruises offer: E. coli.

    Here's a free alternative to your Italy Zoom jones: My wife is watching (DVRing) the CNN series called "Stanley Tucci: Searching for Italy" which seeming consists of his going to beautiful Italian locales and eating really scrumptious-looking food and drinking wine and speaking Italian. He even brings the 'rents, who look great, and must be in their 80s, but don't really look it. Of course, Stanley himself is my age and has that 2% body-fat body we all long for at age *25* - the type of guy who can be served a giant lump of some cream-based desert, have a bite of it, then talk for 5 minutes before he takes a second bite. Me: "Sorry, Stosh, I missed every word you said over the loud smacking sounds of my devouring my dessert in 5 seconds. Then yours. Then your wife's and your parents'. Ya snooze ya lose." (I call him "Stosh". That's the kind of relationship we have. He call me "Hey, you.")

    Speaking of old guys in great shape, google "JK Simmons in the gym." THAT guy is *64*!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. In my classic no-TV way, I cannot figure out how to watch Stanley for free, unless I catch him right when the who airs??, but the trailers sure do look grand. As does Stosh himself. You speak true.

      Delete
    2. when the *show airs, but regardless, not asking you to help me figure this out, lest you get that impression.... I'll figure it out.

      Delete

Post a Comment