October 14, 2020 - Informed Delivery -

I don't know how many years ago "Informed Delivery" came into being, but I remember why I signed up for it.  

The Post Office sent out a note saying we could get an email preview with images of our mail-to-come, every morning. They also said we really ought to sign up for this, because, basically, ANYBODY could ask for a preview of mail for any address (what?!?!?), but if we signed up for a preview of OUR OWN address, then they'd let us know if somebody else decided they wanted to look, too.  

If we signed up FIRST, we could block the bad guys! If the bad guys signed up first, they could block us!  

I felt there were some serious problems with this arrangement, and I wonder if it still holds true, but no matter. We had had our mail stolen once or maybe twice, so I signed up right away.


And I have to say, it's been good. Most days, it's just flyers and such, but once in a while, it comes in handy.

There was a day when the mail never arrived, and I was able to contact the PO and say "Here's what I didn't get." It all showed up a few days later.

And sometimes I get to scroll through the little thumbnails of what is coming and see that I'm going to be getting Real Mail from a Real Person later on! One time I could see from the return address that I was going to get a letter from a long-lost friend I hadn't heard from in decades. Without good old Informed Delivery, I wouldn't have had those hours of anticipation! Anticipation is half the fun.


And then there are moments like this one: I can see an image of our ballots coming! Today! Whee! Yesterday, Multnomah County let me know they were mailing the ballots out, and today, the PO let me know they will be delivering them. And later, Multnomah Co will let me know they got my ballot back and they will offer me the chance to get a virtual sticker! A sticker!  

I love this stuff. Everybody in every state should have this stuff. It's great stuff.

Comments