December 15, 2024 - What will you DO?
The Dean of our Cathedral is leaving us soon. We all fervently wish him well, and we are dealing with the looming goodbye. Some of us are determinedly saying “New Beginnings for Him, New Beginnings for Us,” while others are, you know, sighing. Both of which are perfectly okay.
Me, I keep identifying with things, a little Life in Review,
even though this, like so many other things, is actually Not About Me.
For instance, Nathan gives terrific sermons, beautifully
crafted and layered, often both funny and deep. When he announced his departure, he said that he had reached a point where he
was constantly looking at his life and interactions as sermon-fodder.
I flashed back to Daily Themes, an ancient* and terrifying
writing class I took sophomore year. We had to write a scene from a story,
preferably dialogue, every weekday, for a semester. I took it partly for the thrill,
but mainly because my boyfriend said I would never make it. And I ran out of ideas
pretty swiftly, and started using anything at all, conversations overheard,
other people’s lives, anything. Fodder!
I have also mused about Friends vs Work Friends (or Church
Friends, Choir Friends, Organized Activity friends). A wise man, now a friend
but once a work friend, says the difference lies in whether you spend time with
the person away from work (or work-like group). The Dean and I have never gone
for coffee, but even if we had, I’ve discovered that you don’t know if someone will
be a non-work friend until you stop working with them.
Mostly, though, I’ve been thinking about the weeks between
when I announced my retirement, and my last day. People had opinions! More than
one said, “You can’t retire! I’m too young!”**
I agreed. A lot of folks wanted to discuss our finances, and
I learned to say, “We talked to a guy. Then we talked to two more guys. You
should talk to a guy!”
The most common response, though, was, “What will you DO?” not in a curious way, exactly, but more in
concern.
The honest answer was that I loved not knowing. I had never
in my memory not had SOMETHING I had to do. I wanted to wait and see. I also wanted,
very specifically, to be unable to say, “Oh, I can’t, I have to….” What would that be like?
But people didn’t love hearing “I don’t know!” So I made a
box labelled SUGGESTIONS, and put it on my desk with a bunch of pens and little
note pads. When someone came in asking what I was GOING TO DO, I’d say, as if I
too were perplexed, “I DON’T KNOW! What would YOU do?”
And then I’d point them to the suggestion box, and invite
them to put notes in it right then, or later, if they had more ideas.
It seemed to calm them down a little. On my last day, I took
the box home. I didn’t open it. I’ve never run out of ideas, unlike in Daily
Themes.
*It’s been taught since 1907. Calvin Trillin wrote about it
in 1966, in the New Yorker, in a piece titled “No Telling, No Summing Up.”
** Yes, my leaving was not about them, nor is Nathan's leaving about me. People just do this. Can't help it.

I have not found it hard to find things to do now that I'm retired. The challenge, in retirement, is not to get in a rut - doing the same things everyday just because you're comfortable doing them. People *retire* because they feel they're in a rut (that's one reason, anyway), and it's a sad irony if you retire because there are other things you want to do but don't have the time to do while working ... and then you retired and do some new, different things every day and find that *they* just become a new rut. You develop a different routine from your workday routine, but it *is* a routine and potentially just as stultifying. I *try* to do something different every day. I still like routine, but I strive for more than routine. Another thing one can do - pay attention. It's possible, even likely, to go on a walk and not really see anything. When I pay attention on a walk, I frequently see things, even on my own street, that I've never really clocked before. It's similar to seeing a photo taken from your own backyard and not recognizing what you see because you've never looked at your familiar old yard as something new, as something capable of being surprising.
ReplyDelete