May 2, 2023: Can We Come Out Now?
Before the pandemic, there was a wonderful website called Is a Train Blocking 11th? This is important trip-planning info for Inner Southeast Portland. If you clicked on it, you got a full screen answer, either YES (white on black) or NO (black on white), plus a little timer showing, if YES, how long the train had been there. (That last was interesting but useless, since it couldn’t predict when it would clear. Sometimes, 11th was blocked for 45 minutes.)
What I liked best was that it was maintained by humans whose
office window overlooked the intersection. It wasn’t a sensor, or a traffic
cam.
I miss it. Nowadays,
I skip 11th entirely, if I am in a rush, and go all the way to Powell on 21st.
Seems like the long way, until it isn’t.
My Seattle friend told me there is a similar Washington site
called Is The Mountain Out? I went looking, and it seems there are at least
three versions: webcam at https://ismtrainierout.com/,
crowdsourced map at https://ismtrainierout.com/,
and a Twitter account, “updated 1-2 times a day,” and yet with no postings
since April 29, at https://twitter.com/IsMtRainierOut?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor.
The crowdsourced map is the most entertaining. You can
become one of the crowd, and post the mountain’s status from your location, with
options like:
From Bellevue – Not Out
From Bonney Lake – Kinda Out
From Tacoma – Mountain OUT!
These are all valid designations, and there are more to
choose from.
Today I got several headlines in my feed that teased: Is the
Banking Crisis Over? (or Really Over, or Almost Over, or …). I would appreciate a one-screen YES or NO, though I will settle for Kindof Over, or Mostly
Over. But I’m impatient with reading ten paragraphs to get there. Also, I don’t
know how to take the long way around. Mattress?

Comments
Post a Comment