April 1, 2023: Ever Yours -
Consider the pronoun pin, with SHE, HER, HERS, or HE, HIM, HIS, or THEY, THEM, THEIR.
That plural version needs four instances: THEY, THEM, THEIR,
THEIRS. The third person plural has four variations, while those singulars cleverly
manage four USES with only three FORMS.
I am so grateful that I don’t have to learn English as a
second language.
I’ve always thought that listing even three forms on those
pins was overexplaining. It should probably be enough to have just HER, for
instance, and people could infer the SHE, and the HERS, from that.
Anyone who wanted to switch gender and number for every usage would be asking a
lot: SHE, HIM, OUR, THEIRS. It would be
tough on one’s friends.
Ooh! One's friends!!
ONE, ONE, ONE’S.
Interesting. ONE manages four uses with only TWO forms. Talk
about clever.
When I first saw pronoun pins, I wanted one that said I, ME,
MINE, in tribute to George Harrison, my favorite Beatle when I was a preteen, because
I wanted to be “different,” and ever
after because I just kindof got stuck on George. Preteen fandom is potent.
But today I wanted to bring back our abandoned second person singular, and wear a pin that read THOU, THEE, THY, THINE. Or maybe just THINE. THINE has a little thrill built right in, as if the person addressing you has brought along a sonnet, and you are going to swoon when you hear it, and then go gather rosebuds like crazy.
I remain, ever thine,
C

I Me Mine is the last song the Beatles (OR, perhaps, the FIRST song the *Threatles*) ever recorded. John was not there for the recording in January 1970 (George even makes light of his absence in some studio chatter before they record) and it only got recorded because it became evident that it was going to appear in the Let It Be film, in a scene where John and Yoko dance a waltz to it. (This may have been John mocking it, too, because when he first heard it, he said to George: "The Beatles don't do waltzes, son." John apparently forgot that he'd written "Baby's in Black" 4 year's earlier, as well as the watz-y middle 8 to "We Can Work It Out".)
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGnvGGZafHc
Deletefour *years* earlier. Jesus
Delete