January 13, 2023: Couch -
At their annual conference last weekend, The American Dialect Society chose their 2022 Word of the Year. You may have read about this in Rolling Stone. Or perhaps you heard it reported elsewhere, though I would be surprised if it made NPR. Let me know if I missed that.
In any case, (SPOILER ALERT), the ADS word of 2022 is the
suffix “-ussy.”
No doubt, you are protesting, “SUFFIX??” I know. I don’t
make the news.
If you don’t know-ussy, and you are past your suffix
outrage, you might be wondering (as I did) whether –ussy rhymes with FUSSY or
with PUSSY?
The latter.
In fact, it is derived from PUSSY, and is added to other
words, or even just the beginning of other words, to denote –ussification.
I enjoyed how this discussion went in my Linguistics class.
I was in a small group with two twenty-somethings, and I asked what –ussy meant.
They struggled to explain. We had been given examples of –ussy words, one of
which was winussy, related to WINE, so I asked “Is it about cowardice? Is a
winussy someone who is afraid of wine?”
No, said my classmates. Then suddenly they were joking about “gruncles,”
which (I just looked it up) are great uncles.(If you knew this already, you
watch shows I don’t. If you knew –ussy, you are one of the “chronically online.”
I thought I was chronically online, but apparently I’m bush league.)
I think “pussy” means three things. One is feline. One is
anatomical. And the other one suggests cowardice, weakness, being a wimp, being
spineless. I believe when Donald Trump called Mike Pence the p-word, he was not
calling him a cat, but he WAS using the “cowardice” version which, alas, is related
to the anatomical version, which is vulgar (more so when used by The Former
Guy, who liked to grab women by same, as if it were some kind of handle), and which
is based on an assumption that people with female anatomy are timid, and far less
strong and assertive (=manly) than the other half of the populace. I think men get
called “pussies” to slam them for being not only spineless, but also thereby effeminate.
Tell me you agree.
Anyway, our small group discussion ended with me no wiser,
so I waited until the next class and tried again. Could someone explain what –ussy
MEANT?
A short silence fell, and people looked at each other.
Finally, one person said, “It’s about …. an opening? Or a crevice? In
something? Suppose you were rooting around for coins in your couch cushions,
and you had your arm way in there. Your roommate could say “What are you doing in
the couchussy?”)
OH! Anatomical! Why didn’t they just say so?
And yet, unlike “pussy,” this one is (ostensibly) (kindof)
feminist, according to one of the experts:
“Magically granting a vagina to every person, place and object ….deploys “feminized body terminology” in a non-pejorative way [says Kelly Zimmer, a member of the New Words Committee of the ADS]. “Google euphemisms for vagina, I mean, most of them are not playful,” she says. In that sense, the rise of “-ussy” is “nearly a miracle.”
Okay! Noted!
None of this was as surprising,
though, as the reaction when I said that the “wimp” version of pussy was
misogynist. No, no, said several classmates! The wimp version is about CATS.
That use of “pussy” is about how easily frightened CATS are, you know:
scaredy-cats.
I’ve checked with three grown
women friends on this, and we are unanimous: the wimp version is not about
cats. If you believe the wimp version IS about cats, and you want to correct me,
go for it, but know that right now, I’m assuming that anyone deluded on this
point is young, or male, or both. Prove me wrong.

I had never considered that the wimp version might be about cats and not gender.
ReplyDeleteI'm wonder if, to those who think animals rather than gender, using the work "C**k " about someone references a rooster? aggressive and too loud at inappropriate times rather than an anatomical insult?
or dick? the guy is a real private eye from a noir mystery, probably set in foggy San Francisco at night?
DeleteSaying pussy qua coward refers to cats is revisionist* idiocy of the same sort Santos deployed when he claimed he called himself "Jew-*ish*" not "Jewish". Not buying either. Not just false, but obviously false.
ReplyDelete*Revisionist because EVERYONE knows what it refers to.
a former Blackwellian countered with the timid "pussy-footing," which she maintains is def cats. I can't argue with that. (I used Mountweazel-ISH in a salute to Santos, btw.)
DeleteO come on! Does the fact that calling a dog a cocker spaniel does NOT mean you are insulting it by comparing it to a part of the male anatomy prove that NO use of "cock" refers to the male anatomy? There is also "cock of the walk." Would you call someone a "cock" and then claim: "I wasn't insulting you! Because Cock of the Walk!" (By "you," I mean your Blackwell friend, whose position is thus easily refuted.)
Deletethis is strange. blogger is not posting my replies. I wonder why not? hmm.
Deleteooh. it posted THAT one, but not the other two. HMMM hmmmm.
Deleteperhaps it has eaten them and will cough them up as hairballs??
Delete