September 19, 2022 - Royal Trap Door
My choir got to sing at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle just last month, so seeing it today felt strange and wonderful. We were granted an impromptu tour before we left, and the dean showed us which stone would be lowered down, when Queen Elizabeth died, to an area of underground passageways. There she would "rest," before she and Prince Philip, who had been "resting" down there since his own committal, could be interred together. Apparently, it was important that they be buried at the same time.
I was there for the music, of course, but I just watched that stone go down, with her casket on top, and I remembered how much I liked the Dean and enjoyed his tour guiding skills. One of the choir folks asked him if he could tell us exactly where, below us, the Prince was, and he said, "The short answer is Yes, I could. The long answer is Yes, but then I'd have to kill you."

Comments
Post a Comment