May 13, 2022: I Remember YOU!
My father grew up within an extended clan around Boston, but he left for college, and fought in WWII upon graduation, and eventually landed a job in Seattle, so he rarely saw the extended group after that. One time in later life, though, he went to an East Coast family event, where a much younger cousin said, “I remember you!”
My dad was
pleased, but the guy wasn’t finished. “You
taught me how to throw rocks at ducks!”
This was a
conversation-stopper. Dad accessed the memory bank, and could not recall this happening. He
wanted it not to be true. (And honestly, it doesn’t seem likely; my father had facets,
but it’s hard to imagine him as that kid.)
He wanted
the guy to be remembering some other older cousin. But there was nothing to be done. The guy
remembered it, and Dad didn’t. He moped around for a while afterward, until it
became a funny story.
I play
Trivia twice a month. This is going to tie in, albeit loosely.
I lose at
Trivia, and it’s fun. I have a great teammate, sometimes two teammates, and I don’t expect to win. I have
both a sketchy memory and a woeful (dearth of) knowledge of pop culture, sports, history…
actually I can’t identify what I DO know down to the Trivia level.
And that’s okay! My stated goal in retirement is to Dabble, but I have Dabbled all of my life, picking up shiny objects here and there, but rarely going deep. I spent nine hours in a weekend workshop recently, Dabbling away, exploring a new skill - low expectations, just for fun, etc. - and I was fine with screwing up, cheerful in my Beginner’s Mind, right up until I tipped over into immense frustration.
Once I recovered, I thought: I wonder if I have a Comfortable Failure Fraction? I don’t mind screwing up THIS much, but when it reaches THAT much, my mood sours. And if I do have such a number, what as it?
Easy enough to quantify! I can tabulate how I lose at Trivia! Here’s the breakdown:
a) I have no clue, None. Nada. Zero bells are ringing. I never knew that. Or it’s gone now. (48% of questions, Why I Play Only For Fun.)
b) Oh, DAMN IT, I know that, but I cannot access it in the next few seconds. I KNEW THIS ONCE! DAMN IT!!!! (5% of questions.)
c) I know this one! But I’m WRONG. (5% of questions.)
d) I know this one! And oh, my gosh, I’m RIGHT! (42% of questions.)
I rarely beat myself up over things I never knew, though occasionally I feel inadequate if I can’t come up with a wild guess. How can I not know even one Belgian rock band?
I do a lot of
eye-squinching over the retrieval problems, as I’m sure you do. For all the DAMMIT drama, it’s surprising
how (numerically) small the fraction is, like a poppy seed in your brain teeth.
You can feel the neurons firing away, but not making it across the synapses. (Figure
of speech, people, let it go.)
The third category – what my pal Chuck calls “Often Wrong, Never in Doubt”- doesn’t bother me too much, if it stays in the 5% range. Seems reasonable, at least while playing Trivia. Drives others mad in real life, I know. Sucks for them.
Being RIGHT comes
with a range of emotions, from Duh,
to Phew, at least I haven’t forgotten
THAT, to Can I get a round of
Applause?
So, here’s
my dad, with no memory of throwing rocks at ducks (category a), and here’s his
cousin, who is either right (d), or wrong (c), but who is not sitting around
going WHO taught me to throw rocks at ducks? Who? (b).
All of these
musings came together when I saw a high school flame/longtime friend a few days
ago, for the first time in ages. He mentioned making out with me in a gravel
pit. (Isn’t that sweet?) He saw me get that look I get when I’m accessing the
memory bank, and he was laughing, thinking I’d forgotten, but it was far worse
than that. I said, gently, “I do remember making out in a gravel pit… but… not
with YOU.”
In terms of failure, this answer was a), b), c), and d) all at once: no bells; circuits jammed; I am confident but wrong; and I am right about the other guy, but (circling back) no bells with you, sorreee.
In terms of etiquette, my answer was suboptimal.
But in terms of lowering expectations, and bringing on a belly
laugh, it was a roaring success. Here’s where I am these days, a solid 42%.
Take it or leave it.
Maybe making out in gravel pits is your thing? With all that gravel? It's a great hedge against letting things get too far out of hand. "Yeah, I like you and all, and I *would* but...bare skin...all this gravel...? ...You see my dilemma..."
ReplyDeleteWhy would one need to be *taught* how to throw rocks a ducks? It's a terrible thing to do, but the procedure is pretty straightforward. Here's a rock, shaped much like ball. You've thrown a ball, right? Okay, over there, some ducks.
I mean, unless this cousin's contention was your father got him past the moral dilemma involved in chucking rocks at ducks, the story seems dubious. "O, until this moment, I never knew being a sadist was FUN! Thanks, cuz!"
I don't buy it at all.
I am thoroughly persuaded by your second argument, here - the one about my dad. And I LIKE the first argument, and agree gravel pits would be a disincentive to disrobing. Along those same lines. I always thought movies with those beach scenes were ... well, they would be so scratchy.
DeleteMy pal Michelle (English professor) says this post is an Alice Munro short story. I told her I had forgotten Alice Munro in Trivia. It may be I did. Or maybe I was just kidding. I can't recall.
Delete