January 25, 2022: Are You Going to Write a Book?, Part 2

It had been a long time since I'd thought about The Journal of Unemployment Studies, I got inspired to go on a scouting mission to see what else had happened to it over the years. 

And lo! The Journal of Unemployment Studies is on WorldCat! That’s because it has been added to the collection of the Urbana Free Library. Somebody even catalogued it: Career change – case studies. Unemployment. I am so proud. I’m in a library.

It is not in the Library of Congress. I didn’t think it would be. Had to check, though.

There is a Nook version available from Barnes & Noble. I have no memory of agreeing to this. It has two ISBNs, one I don’t recognize at all. I have no Nook, but I assume it’s readable, that being Nook-i-fied didn’t mess with the formatting. I doubt anyone has ever downloaded it. B&N has sent me no checks.

My book is out on GoogleBooks, something else I never agreed to, but I’m not arguing. Because they can, they generously provide a word cloud for it. Just looking at that word cloud gave me flashbacks, as you will understand, though if I ignore the job hunting terms, it sounds much like me today. As you will see.

It’s out on Amazon, US and UK, in paperback, as I intended it to be. There is no Kindle edition.

There is one Amazon review, on the UK edition. One person found it helpful, but that person was me.

The review was written by my friend Sheila. It’s five stars, because my friend Sheila wrote it. I remember when I first saw it, and how it made me smile. There are no reviews on the US edition. I would have been surprised if there were.

There are three versions on Lulu, one paperback and two e-books. That’s strange. One of the e-books looks unfinished, as if it’s a prototype that never got finalized. I had never tried to download an e-version – why would I? - but after seeing there was a NookBook, I got to wondering what an e-version might look like. So I bought one of the e-book editions from Lulu, out of curiosity. I got a .pdf, and after a lot of wrestling, I got it open. It was perfect. Nice to know.

There was also an absolutely glowing review on Lulu, which either I had forgotten about, or I had missed. The reviews are tucked away. It was also five stars! And zero people found it helpful!

It made me howl. It was written by my friend Connie. You know Connie. She edited the book after I botched it into an itsy-bitsy print version. She fixed it. Her review describes The Journal of Unemployment Studies as “beautifully designed,” among other things. HAHAHA. It also has some gobbledegook, because apparently Lulu’s comments section doesn’t handle quotation marks. WELL PLAYED, Connie!


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Right?! She saw this and wrote to assure me that she still has her copy, as you did. That makes five people going out of their way to reassure me that they didn't throw the book into the trash. Heartwarming, honestly, but also ... my friends know I'll be glad to hear that DO still have their copies. Because ... there's a used copy out there on Abe that is currently On My Mind....

      Delete

Post a Comment