December 1, 2021: Normals, New and Otherwise -
Favorite headline of the week: Jill Biden’s White House Christmas LooksVery … Normal.
Also newsworthy, to the writer of this article: Dr. Biden
wears some of her fetching (American-made!) frocks on more than one
occasion. Which is normal for most of
us, but not normal for recent First Ladies, who burned through outfits at a
great clip, but closer to normal than
the fashion stylings of the unusually thrifty (possibly even frumpy) Rosalind
Carter.
Maybe it’s only the ellipsis in that headline that I … like.
You know what else is normal? My bank no longer has huge
plywood panels (tagged) over every window. The people inside can see daylight
again. And we went downtown to see a play last night, and are going to spend a
day doing downtown things today – art museum, lunch, shopping – because we do
that now and then. The trees downtown are
wrapped in white lights at night, which is normal for the season, and lovely.
Also, four hummingbirds were working our giant mahonia this
morning, a normal (wonderful) winter sight. My best photographic effort shows
an indistinct blur. (Not the large
indistinct blob in front of the brighter area, but the tiny, angel-shaped blob
just northeast of that larger blob.)
Hummingbirds don’t like to pose. I get that. Like a
hummingbird, I too look better in motion, flashing my glorious red neck. (Okay,
mine is the result of a murderous-lingerie attack. But still.)
And Omicron is already in the US. Sorry, but I believe that new variants are the new normal.
Not normal, but good: unemployment is the lowest it has been
since 1969, and family food insecurity is down 24%, thanks to the American
Rescue Plan. WOOHOO.
Return to normal: the supply chain is way, way better, the
ports are unclogging, and bigwig retail CEO’s have thanked the Biden administration
for its efforts towards that end. Happy Consumer Christmas, America!
Incredibly normal: the left values a diversity of opinion,
and people on the left, Progressives and Democrats. disagree with each other.
We are not currently in newsworthy disarray, we are doing our usual thing, of
which disagreement is a FEATURE. (Granted, we may be crushed by a wall of
monolithic authoritarianism, but there is no viable alternative to being who we
are. As in life.)
So for instance, since the 2016 election, my own new normal
involves sending Thanksgiving thank-you cards to people in public life who I
think could use an attaboy, and this year’s recipients include Kate Brown – the
most unpopular governor in the nation!- and Nancy Pelosi. I think Kate Brown
saved lots of Oregonian lives. I think Nancy Pelosi is a powerhouse.
And if you are here, then you are almost undoubtedly a
leftie, so I EXPECT you to disagree with me on one or many points. Sure, unemployment
is down but it’s not down AS FAR for black and brown people. Sure, the American
Rescue Plan helped with food insecurity, but it should have helped MORE. Why am I not writing about Roe? A thank-you to Kate
Brown?!?! And here’s what Nancy Pelosi is doing wrong….
I know! You have a bone to pick with me, and you are not
even Republican! See?!?! My point
exactly!
So I’ll just circle back here, and say that while I had vast
antipathy for Melania, (surprise!) I retained a sliver of fellow-feeling for her
manifest hatred of that First Lady role. I would be a terrible First Lady (HYPOTHETICALLY).
I would bitterly resent every harsh word and mocking tweet about my Christmas
decorations.
And mine would be lousy Christmas decorations! Not
apocalyptic, but lousy in their own unique way, because I do not have Christmas
décor flair, nor am I going to get it. This is not humility. I’m Less-is-More,
when it comes to Christmassing things up. I went to one of those fundraiser
Christmas-tree fairs once and thought Yeek, ick, why, where is the exit?
And even if my White House Christmas was perfect, because I
hired somebody to do a bang-up job, I would hate being judged on my decorating,
on my choice to wear my frocks the exactly right number of times. I’d hate
being damned with faint praise, like “… normal.” I would not be the equable Dr.
Biden. I would be a bad sport. You could tell me how fortunate I was, and I
would snarl at you.
On the other hand, I could get into having 41 trees in the
house. I like the smell of an evergreen. That smell might almost make up for it
all, one month out of the year.
Comments
Post a Comment